Helmets.....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jul 20, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, after hitting my head yesterday, and realizing, regardless of how many times you do a move off something, you're bound to hit your head sooner or later.....

So I was wondering what helmets you guys use? I see alot of you use road helmets for obvious reasons. Light, plenty of ventilation, and not bulky. It's pretty much the reason I stopped wearing my Pro-tec helmet, cause it was bulky and heavy, and had no ventilation.

So, I was looking at the Giro Atmos and Pneumo. Giro's lightest best ventilated helmets. But, when I went to go look at and possibly get one...I was kinda swayed at the LBS cause they said they're pretty much limited to ONE hit, and they break...WTF, $200 for a helmet and it breaks after one hit? So they recomended me against it, and pointed me to a skate helmet.....

WTF helmets do you guys use? ANd are those guys at the LBS just douche faces?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

any helmet is considred "unsafe" after a hit. if you ask the manufacturer.

there are like 4 or five homos, incuding me, that wear a giro animas around these parts.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I wear the giro one that is the most expensive- the e2?? I don't know what its called. Try them on at the LBS, do NOT buy it there unless you want to spend an extra couple hundred dollars- in which case, I will buy you the helmet you want and you can send me $150 to get the same feeling. I can't say I've ever seen anyone with a road helmet though.

I'm lucky enough to have never landed on my head- not once...the only way I can see that happening in trials is either bike error and riding out of your level, you are going .001 miles an hour you better be able to save yourself. Now teeth on the other hand.....:rofl:

4. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

louis garneau i think it is, t bone.... $100 helmet, road/mountain.....works nice

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

i found an bell x-ray around my shop, it retails for 100, but it works well, bells are nice, for 15 bucks after a crash, they'll send you a new helmet

6. Tanner

Tanner New Member

I bought an animas at my LBS for $50. Couldn't really go wrong with that price.

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

My pro tec is cracked in 4 places, yet i too have never, not once fallen on my head :dunno: I guess it's just from me dropping it on the ground when i'm done riding :hsugh:
    i'll be getting a light weight MTB helmet though...looking at the E2,looks nice and ventilated.

oh yeah, the skate style helmets are good for multiple impacts, but the MTB helmets will protect you better, but the downside is that after one fall you need a new one. So MTB helmets are definately worth it IMO.

8. sharpe

sharpe Guest

i use some giro helmet which seems to work ok, paid $120 for it or so and i've hit my head HEAPS of times, well once that i can remember when i fell off a rail fence:(
    only dumbass people don't wear a helmet when riding trials-the only riders i've seen without helmets are some of those british people idn't it?

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

if you had the least bit of knowledge in you you would know that your helmet is toast and won't save your head in case of a fall. get a new one. MTB helmets are ONE IMPACT USE ONLY helmets :hsugh:

10. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

any pic thats ever been posted of me or video in the past 4 years, ive been wearing a pnuemo, maybe im just a rodie at heart......

11. Elan

Elan steve french

skinsuit, roadie helmet.... you are banned !!!

12. evan

evan Guest

I wear a Protec and sweat profusely no matter what the weather.

Some day (when I get off my ass and find a job :) ) I'll get a more ventilated helmet.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  13. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

im just trying to be super areo for those big ups.........

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Haven't seen any :dunno:

15. onto1wheel

onto1wheel Member

a friend of mine showed me that a new snell helmet designation is coming out for "extreme sports"
    http://www.smf.org/stdsdraft.html
    (nx 2002)
    too much reading for me, but the heading says "more protection than standard bicycle headgear". i wonder what they'll look like.
    Of the current helmets, i got the impression that skate helmets were better protection, so I wear one unless it gets too hot, then i wear a regular mtn bike helmet.
    i'm also too cheap to buy a $100 helmet. the $35 ones seem to work fine for me, but that's just me, eh.

here's some more pilfered crap from the snell page on bike vs skate helmets (I think we fit a little better in the "skate helmet" dept myself):

So why so many different helmets and standards? Well, all activities are not created equal. You may think that activities like bicycling and skateboarding are pretty much the same, wheeled, non-motorized vehicles that are used on paved surfaces. In some ways they are alike but, they also differ in some important aspects. Studies have demonstrated that the the head impacts that cyclists receive are more frequently located on the front third of the helmet down near the lower edge. This is likely a result of the dynamics of how people ride and the design of bicycles. A rider who is about to be involved in an incident is also likely to be using their hands and arms to try to maneuver the bike rather than for the natural act of protecting their head and face.

Skateboarders
    generally have less maneuvering capability and thus less active control, except for perhaps those who have an expertise in the activity. The environment that these items are used are commonly less controlled, with a larger variety of unknown hazards. Unlike bicyclists, skateboarders and those who rollerblade, rollerskate and the like are more likely to fall backwards making impacts to the back of the head more common. Their arms and hands are usually free to naturally react and cover at least the front and sides of the head helping to diffuse the impact. It becomes more important that a person on a skateboard, rollerblades or skates have a helmet that offers more protection for the back of the head.

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

It doesnt matter what helmat you use.

I have a pretty regular skate helmat.

17. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I've got an E2 also - just FYI, if you do "impact" the helmet significantly, and provide an explanation, Giro will replace it for free - already had to do it once after I went over the bars on my trail bike. But yeah, wear a helmet. It dun keeps you smart.

18. Cole

Cole New Member

E2 and Pneumo are both good. Work at your LBS for a couple weeks and you can order them for under $50 each.

19. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i have a cheap 661 skate/bmx helmet. if i hadn't dropped it a couple of times, it'd pass as unused?

20. Elan

Elan steve french

i threw my 661 at lots of stuff...it finally broke. its was a good $10 investment