Headset Problem (Newb question)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ross, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross New Member

Whenever I am just standing with my bike with the front brake only locked, the bike is able to move forward and backwards slightly if I push it. The tire is not moving on the ground and the brakes arent slipping so I am pretty sure it is the headset. When I put my finger on the head tube such that it is touching both the frame and the headset I can feel it move a little bit when I rock it. How do I tighten my headset??? I have tried loosening the stem from the steerer tube and then tightening the adjuster bolt on the top of the headset but it never seems to get any tighter once I retighten the stem. I know this is probably a pretty basic problem but I dont know how to get this thing tight. Can anyone help me??? Thanks.

2. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

If it's still loose after doing what you said, your steerer is probably be touching the top cap. Put a spacer under the stem, a 2.5mm or 5mm one will do, and adjust the headset again. Also check that all the headset parts are seated right, the cups and the crown race on the fork. If there is binding when you turn the bars, then something is probably not seated right. But I think the problem is just that you need a headset spacer under the stem.

3. Ross

Ross New Member

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

4. McQueen

McQueen Guest

If you run a suspension fork, a common problem caused by wear of the bushings and internal parts, especially in rockshox forks, can cause the same feel of a loose headset. If you do have a suspension fork, rock the bike back and forth while holding your hand on the dust seal and stanchion, if you can feel play (not from the fork moving up and down) then that is your problem...

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hang the bike up in a stand, take the front wheel off and grab the fork blades with your hands and shake the blades in the standard position and then 90 degrees away so the blades are parrallel to the down tube. If you feel "knock" or play in both directions, turn the allen key 1/6 a turn, and if it only has play in one direction, turn it a 1/12 of a turn.

thats barnetts bicycles manual for you