Has TRA/tunnicliffe/craig lee messed with you?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by AndyT, Sep 18, 2004.

1. AndyT

AndyT New Member

All I want to do is sidehop huge now :wtc:

all those videos coming out in a row, all huge sidehops ... glarrrrrrrrr

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

yes but my tiny inferior legs are only good for going bar height.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'll get you some drugs for that. I have really long legs, it helps :eek:

4. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

going over bar height is impossible for me....why

5. Matt Staples

Matt Staples Guest

Doesn't really matter how much of a short-ass you are, its all in technique, just try as many different techniques as possible to find the right one. (which i'm still in the process of doing)

6. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

I dont really find sidehops that fun, probably because i cant do them very high yet, only 2 feet (laugh, ouch) , but the stuff they can do is pretty insane, id be interested to know if any of them have suffered any major injuries?
    Watching them only inspires me to ride and improve on my technique so i can go bigger, no scrap that, better.

7. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

All the monster sidehops.. and then too, those guys have been there and done that already. Like last year the backflip on a moto-x bike was the shit and now you have to do nac-nac backflips with a no handed lander to raise any eyebrows. In a way (and tell me if you disagree, andrew) trials is somewhat static in its progression in that same sense. You can have LeeScott doing monsterous sidehops left and right but they are essentially the same move done over and over in different locations.. ok, with maybe a few inch difference between the heigths.

You look at freestyle mx again, and you have a really really aggresive progression. And not just the fact that a double backflip is right around the corner, but that a mistake is usually instantly punishing in a way that Craig missing a huge 54 inch up is not. 30ft in the air on a 250lb bike and doing all their crazy shit over an 80ft gap.. in that light, a difference in sidehop heigth of a few inches or even half a foot seems lame in comparison.

Whats the excuse? Well maybe its just money.
    Heres a question for you: if the money were there-- do you think its possible on a trials bicycle to hop on the rear wheel and launch into a backflip, and land on the rear wheel? :)

EDIT: and of course there no point to doing a backflip on a trials bike! Its just a purely technical question.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  8. nidoss

nidoss Guest

I can side up maybe 2 feet on a good day =) im almost there

9. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Lets just say its a lot harder than I initially thought and leave it at that for now...I'd like to know what money I am after for trying tho???

10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

:rofl: how far did you get?

11. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Ive been thinking about the trials backhop backflip for quite a while now, not thinking about trying it, just thinking about it. To me it seems possible, Im no physics professor or anything, but it seems that if you could throw back hard enough, it could be done.

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i heard ages ago about a dude trying it into a dam off a ledge type thing. I think he hit his head or somthing :dunno: anyway not so keen anymore as he was.

13. nidoss

nidoss Guest

ya, i heard about the same thing hydroboy.

14. PaulG

PaulG Releasing the Kitties

i disagreee that trials is stagnant in that way infact i think trials has more progression infront and behind that MX anyday purely because trials isn't about "moves" there just techniques we use then to get over stuff. if you are really good at one of techniques more power to you and you will probably get over more stuff but it's all about what you do it on. it's the rocks ledges logs etc what we do is just using what we got to get over them. as for MX they just have to keep getting crazier until they start dropping like flies it's getting more down to balls and less about skill.

15. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Punctuate Paul, you car crashing maniac.

:rolleyes:

16. Totaltrials

Totaltrials Guest

I can do it already ;)

It's all about your technique for sidehopping, i'm like 6.5 tall and i cannot sidehop like craig or neil or thom, but then there is marc caisso little 5ft tall guy with size 5 feet :) he can still sidehop like a dam beast, just gotta work on the technique, mainly about getting the front end in the right position throughout the sidehop.

Phil.

17. BrettM

BrettM New Member

It involves a lake and me slamming my back into it.

18. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

It's pretty much impossible to do a back flip on a trials bike from back wheel. take it from me i used to be a gymnast for over 7 years. there's a few things you need to do a back flip on flat ground (standing)
    -preload, this is hard on a trials bike. you can't bend your knees comfortably enough to go far down. your stomach will hit your stem.
    -set. this involves throwing your arms back behind your head in order to get backwards momentum. this is impossible on a bike because your arms are attach to the handlebars.
    -tuck. you need to tuck your knees into your body in order to spin fast enough. only a handful of people in this world can do a standing back layout (back flip with your body completely straight). it'll be even harder on a bike

A bike pretty much inhibits every single on of those things you need to be able to do a back flip. sorry, it just CAN'T be done from static.

19. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I completely disagree.

The problem is the height that you need would probably be around 10 feet. That is the problem with this move.

The bmx world has been toying with bunnyhop backflips for a while now. The two that I've seen have made the rotation but blown off the pedals. I would consider forward momentum and turning that into backwards rotation (without the help of a ramp) harder than static. Both needed around 10 feet to fall before hitting tranny.

I see it the same as running forward and doing a backflip. Its awkward as hell and I wouldn't think its possible. But you can huck em into lakes and whatnot. You just need some height to get around.

Your flaw in your argument is you are talking too much aboots on the ground. I could do a back layout or whatever its called. Just gimme a 5 meter platform and a pool. Height will fix all 3 of your problems. Unfortunately once you start getting too high you just can't go out and do this. I guarantee I could do this move off a 10 meter and into a pool first try no problem at all.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
    1 person likes this.