Observed Trials banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, I currently have two King rear hubs that are fine except for the cassette bodies. I'm trying to build up a new complete stock bike on my new RAVen 5.0 frame thats coming in a few weeks. Upon calling King directly today I've been told that the Stainless bodies will not be ready anytime soon and that the last batch were not good enough to sell, so they were all pretty much scrapped. I've heard a ton of good things about the Hadley hubs , but I cannot locate the number for them, or find anything on the web except for opinions of them for freeriding. Does anyone have any experience with the Hadley Trials hub?? The one with the 108 engagement points is the one I'd be interested in , but I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks for your assistance and all help you might provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
~Bruce Wagner

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
You can use the alum freehub body, as long as you use a cassette and not a single cog. I think the Hadley has more engagement, but fewer pawls so more prone to slip.

·
All About Trials
1,308 Posts
I've breifly rode one for a bit. Really the only thing I can say is this:
1-You won't notice the engagement difference really. I guess after 72 points it's kinda all the same (spare Stealth hubs?)
2-The engagement isn't quite as 'stiff' as the Kings. It's kind of like going from a CK to a Shimano, you really do notice that when you give the hub a kick that there is a little bit of mush. Of course, it's still pretty stiff, but not quite as much as King In my opinion.

I hope this helps? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this sucks

yep, that helps. Now i guess i just have to wait a few months for king to actually have parts in stock. It sucks when you have the money for once, but none of the stuff you need or want is available. As soon as my money is spent, everythnig will be back in stock!! Damn this sucks:(

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Shop around. Places like Webcyclery and what not should have a steel shell you can buy. There has to be one out there. I am assuming you talked to King directly because you work in a shop or something.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
If you dont work at a a shop,and pay normal prices, I'm sure theres an online store with King hubs, otherwise you should wait, and use their EP program,its awesome. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I called all over one month ago for a stianless shell and had no luck. Every place I talked to said it had been months since they orderd from CK and they weren't expecting them anytime soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
a lot of street riders here in salt lake rides Hadley, and they love them. They have pretty kick ass costumer servoices too. I rode one of there 108 engagement hubs and it felt good, the change is not as dramatic as switching from say a shimano to a king, but the change is there.

but Chris "krispy" from Go-Ride took one apart and he said that the internals didn't look all that beefy, so it might not stand up to normal trials use. but maybe it doesn't have to be beefy cause theres not much freeplay? I guess theres only one way to find out. .... some body get one and let us know:)

·
RCP FABRICATION
2,505 Posts
my buddy already killed his hadley, i do have to admit, they warrenty was nice, he called, overnighted his hub out, 2 days a new one was overnighted back, then he sold it and got a king....

about the aluminum cassette body, just run an ultegra cassette for geared (12-21, that way the 21,19 and 18t are on the spider) our use a king cog (steel) for single speed...

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
run the alloy body. if you start to have your used cog dig in, move it to another spot on the cassette body. if you do this you can get several more months out of the alloy bodies. call king, i just got my hub with a steel driveshell.... i hope it's not a sloppy throw away one. they wont have any hd axles for a while either.

·
921 Posts
The Hadley rant..

Finish on the Kings with the colors available and other nice touches I like over the Hadley's typical black but build quality is great, service is great, and I'd say the strength of the hub (the engagement system though on King is more bulletproof with ring drive vs. pawls) and weight is on par with King. I've talked to Mike Hadley and he's personally rebuilt my hub for me.. right down to matching the bearings (the only reason it was there was to swap the regular for the trials freehub). Like I said.. i've never had any problems with the Hadley... it's been great for me for over 2 years of learning trials and beating on it now. I can definitely feel the difference in engagement between the King and Hadley. The Hadley's freehub body is Ti but hasn't really given me any trouble with digging. There are slight marks but nothing more. The bolt-on thru axles are stiff as all hell as well.

Another quote I came across when i searched for my old post about my Hadley (lazy) I believe Ascentrek has one as well.. and a few others on the board.

atypical said:
What have you heard? I heard somethings about breakage early on, so I was skeptical at first. It's got the pawls offset so it might break due to weak engagement, but it's at least covered if you tell Mike Hadley that you used it for TRIALS. @ 240 lbs of horse I should kill this hub, but it ain't dead, not even dying and I've been trialsin for 10+yrs. Again not hub war, just sayin.
Sorry if that reads like a 5 year old tomato wrote it... i'm tired as hell. But yeah.. if you've got two Kings already.. use the aluminum shells and build a cassette with a carrier or King kog i'd say.

*Also, anyone who needs a Hadley serviced and their shop doesn't have the toolkit I'd be glad to help you out. I have the kit and extra oil.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i got my king stuf about a month ago, after ordering it a week before, I got the last black classic rear with the stainless drive shell and the heavy duity axle. they said it would be at least 2 months before they would get them in again. so, sorry to whoever wanted that hub.(I know one guy that i ride with called the day after i placed my order asking about them, being ready to send them a check, and they said they were all out. so i'm guessing i got the one he wanted... haha sucks to be him!! oh well. he'll jsut have to wait longer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine's still holding up great, but haven't ridden in 2 wks b/c of my middleburn bashguard failure. I wanted a King like most riders here, but I figured I could save a little moolah and get a few more engagement pts, bolt on axle, Ti accessories, and have an easier time w/warranty so I gave Hadley a try. Used to be all I'd see on these forums was "King skip this" and "how do I lube that" and "HD axle with the trials spring & steel drive shell". Well, I bought and forgot...Haven't had to do anything or buy anything else for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts