Guns n Hoses

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Pawel Sutkowski, May 3, 2004.

1. Pawel Sutkowski

Pawel Sutkowski Guest

I heard somewhere, that rear V break works better with one longer piece of hose instead of two shorter pieces ? Could any of you tell me if it is truth, and how it is possible ? (I always thaught that more hose mean less power and more effort necessary to use the lever).

Thanks for answers.

2. Janson

Janson Guest

Not sure if it gets more or less powerful. I don't think it's that big of a difference to be honest. I run a rear v-brake with full length outer cable (as my frame has a bent toptube and only hydraulic hose guides). Lever is light and I don't notice that much sponge.

Full length housing is good, as long as you have a good cable.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

full length housing is the only way IMO

4. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

Housing compresses. The more housing you have the more compression your brake will have. Compression translates into a mushy lever that lacks the solid feeling when the pads hit the rim. This also takes away from your power because your finger strength is being used to compress the housing instead of squeeze the brake arms. In my opinion the only reason to use full length housing is because 1. Your frame requires it, or 2. you ride in really sloppy conditions.

I just moved from a frame with full length housing to a frame with the standard interupted housing and my brake feels much better.

5. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

for XC and DH it keeps out dirt. I cant Imagine that housing flexes less than your frames cable guides.

6. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

The only question I have about running full-length housing - if housing is cut well, does eliminating two ferrule-stop interfaces (the ones on the top tube) make more of a difference in eliminating squish than adding the extra length of housing? (as I understand, the only reason to run full-length is to eliminate the extra housing connections).

7. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

As I said: The more housing the more compression. You could have eleventy billion, even though thats not a real number...yet, cable interuptions along the way to the brake and as long as you were using a shorter amount of housing than full length it would still "squish" less.

8. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

On my bike, I ran a single piece so the housing goes through the cable guides, but does not make any tight turns there, IE it runs out away from the top tube. This way it's one flowing connection, without any harsh turns, and makes the brakes much better.

9. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Nice thread name :bigthumb: Had to pause and think about it at first.