Observed Trials banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to try grinding my shizzle before this weekend, and we have an angle grinder here at the shop. its a milwaukee 4 1/2". we only have smooth grinding wheels here, which i'm assuming won't work well. what kind of wheel should i be looking for, and what techniques work best? thanks playas

·
Aluminum is for recycling
1,533 Posts
new technique: Get the dremel soft metal bit that looks like a1/4 inch saw
blade.It knurls the rim almost as much as it takes metal off.
The angle grinder really takes a toll on you rims .This seems a lttle nicer and makes your rim feel like 20 grit sandpaper.
For those that have witnessed my crappy brakes in the past ,this process is NEW AND IMPROVED. :wuteva:

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Does the dremmel take about 20 seconds per side?

I'll stick with normal, standard, grinding that gives me hearing loss.

·
1,533 Posts
about 45 sec. and hearing loss is still inevitable .If you've got a dremel the bit is $30 less than the cheapest grinder.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so all you do is hold the wheel in place and make nice big (even) vertical gouges along the sidewall?

·
1,533 Posts
spin the wheel, angle the bit just enough to keep the whel spinning.Then slowly move the bit from the start to the other side of the rim......blugh...
...blugh...
Be sure to test the sharpness of the blade on your hand before starting! :nono:

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Never use the spinning wheel and holding grinder to it, its pointless and you might as well slobber your pussy juice on it.

I put the wheel on the floor

put my foot on top of the rim so it won't move. Take both hands to hold the 10 pound grinder and push into it HARD, keep moving.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha twat lube

ok i'm gonna tackle this biotch tomorrow. whats the best disc size, incase i like it and end up buying my own grinder?

·
1,533 Posts
yup ,and keep grindin till you can see light through the braking surface!

·
Original power yuppie
628 Posts
LEt me know how it goes. I'll be doing an Alex Rim soon... right Elan?... unless you want to do it for me :bigthumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts