goofy and bike setup

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by mboehlen, May 15, 2010.

1. mboehlen

mboehlen New Member

Hello,

I am goofy in all sports displines i practised (even though i am right handed). When riding trials it seems to be unfortunate since it seems that i tend to break my bike quicker. For instance i prefer jumping on a ledge on the right side. When this fails i hit my chain tensioner. On the other hand when i am balancing on a ledge my front wheel seems to fall off preferably on the right, hitting my disc rotor until it bends....

The damages to my bike cost me money, time and being unable practise. That's why i am thinking if it would be possible to reverse the bike setup: Having the disc brake on the right of my front wheel, and my chain, on the left side of my bike.

Is it possible to do such a setup? Or has someone experience in setting up the bike for a goofy person?

Since i bent my rotor again and need to replace it, i would like to know if this is a stupid idea or go ahead with it since i need to do some maintenance anyway?

Thanks
    (This is my first post on OTN which already helped me a lot. I own a Ozonys XR26 bought second hand)

2. sk8dad

sk8dad every ounce of fun

Does your frame handle rim brakes?

3. bigfoot rider

bigfoot rider New Member

If you can switch to rim brakes, that would eliminate the rotor problem. I've seen BMX bikes with left side drives, but have yet to see or hear of this on a trials bike. The only thing I could recommend would be attempting to eliminate the tensioner. Sometimes a combination of old (stretched) chain, and new chain can be just the right length if you have vertical drop-outs.

4. mboehlen

mboehlen New Member

yes and no

A rim brake is not possible (I only have on hole on my frame to fit the brakes (v brakes that would be i assume). But from all the posts i read it sems that a disc brake is better in front for modulation. ... But this doesn't help me whith my chain tensioner problem.
    The idea is just to "switch sides" with a traditional setup

5. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

if you are smashing rotors on a regular basis, i dont think your to the point that front v's are going to matter.

in fact I run front v's, dont care to run a disc, probably never will

6. bigfoot rider

bigfoot rider New Member

Not sure if you only read the first sentence of my post or not.....

Disc brakes are not the be all, end all for front end, lots of guys prefer vee's, or HS33's up front. A guy I ride with runs HS33's on the front with a smooth rim, and it gives him all the modulation he needs.

7. Ramrod

Ramrod My body is ready.

I've never heard the term goofy used other than snowboarding and board sports.

I might just be very sheltered?

8. Juhan

Juhan Welcome to Estonia.

Get a decent chain tensioner for the rear (rennen, yess double pulley) that attaches both to the rear hub axle and the deraillieur hole(or search for diy tensioners, there are literally tens of "make it yourself in 10 minutes out of random crap" tensioner designs on this forum that all work flawlessly and don't get broken when you land on them).

as for the front disc brake - if you keep falling off shit so that you fall on your front disc then, yes use front rim brakes until you suck less. (if you hit your front disc that way you can't be a very advanced rider meaning you're not going to lose anything by going to a front rim brake. as your skills grow you can just switch back to a front disc anytime)

9. pav

pav New Member

Disc is not that great.

I had HS33 for years, switched to a disc. It was set up really well and worked well but I didnt like idea of hitting rotor and HS33 had much better power.

I have now gone back to HS33 and can't be happier!

Don't be afraid about making the switch. Its worth it if your constantly breaking things.

For the tensioner problem, try live with it until you want a new frame then get something with horizontal dropouts and problem solved!

10. mboehlen

mboehlen New Member

thanks

Thanks for the information. Using front Vbrakes was my first idea but i got discouraged by taking this option by reading the OTN archive posts. I will now choose for this option, solving my front brake problem.

About the chain tensioner part: It is possible to bend the chain tensioner back to the correct position after being hit, as it does not need to be 100% true. Not using a chain tensioner is possible as well, but i got the impression to not take this option for safety reasons as the chain could skip more easily, or that the chain would brake more easily under the forces applied. I will need to read more posts about this topic.

About the goofy term: my body seems to have a dominant left side, and this is reflected in i.e skateboarding, high jumping,... for me this is the same as being "goofy"

11. filotr14lsdude

filotr14lsdude bike part distroyer

pashley make disc forks with the mount on the right hand side. however from rim brakes is much better

make a thin steel hanger,when you land on it,it bends,then just use a shifter to straighten it,you can bend it quite a few times before it breaks,whn i breaks make a new one.

12. Juhan

Juhan Welcome to Estonia.

you can bend the hanger back no problem (use pliers and your eyes). If it breaks - you can buy a new one(tartybikes is a great source to get one, or at least find out which one to get as they are super helpful, as is their website)

also - there are several DIY options out there if you use the search function.

https://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=36378&highlight=diy+tensioner

is just the first thread that came up.

ALSO: there are things you can buy, as the http://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-v
    which minimises damage to the hanger and maximises chain wrap around the cog(less chance of skipping)