Good weight?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Trialsaddict, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Trialsaddict

Trialsaddict I have no idea.

I was wondering what y'all think a good weight should be for a stock bike. I think my new bike is going to be about 24 lbs....

Thanks,

TA

2. Elan

Elan steve french

24 is the light side of average... 23 would be really light, 26 is on the heavy side

3. Trialsaddict

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

4. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Depends on the bike really. Some bikes will just ride light. Short stays and what not. Longer stays it is nice to have a bit lighter of a bike.

Just a note. I heard rumours of Dylan Korba being on an 18.5 pound Desalvo for the BIU rounds.

5. Trialsaddict

No way.... that is crazy light. How could that be? Any info on the set up?

6. Elan

Elan steve french

info on the set up: over $5000 and lasts about 2 comps.

7. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Actually no. Korba is a smaller dude and is a pretty smooth guy. I've never seen him break anything. He doesn't do the whole wide rims and tires thing. He's been around since way before that so he doesn't feel its needed I guess. Most of it is in his choice of rims and tires. He's had sub 20 pound bikes for years and years now.

8. kamil

kamil Guest

dylan has always had _light_ bikes. and yes, he's damn smooth.

9. Elan

Elan steve french

how many small riders do you know...so yea, bike probably still wouldnt last all that long...

although he save a lot on me for my 5lbs of tires and ~ 2lbs of wheels

10. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I'll try to explain this a little better...

Remember before dx32s? The rim choice combo was Mavic d521 rear and x317 disk for front? Dylan still goes along those lines. He also runs lighter than average tires front and rear. This is where he saves most of the weight. The rest of his bike setup is the same as anyone else would ride.

Like I said before too. He has always had a lighter than 20 pound bike since before I knew him. They last just fine under him. I don't really know what else to say to convince you its fine? Maybe you do know better than I do on this one.

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

My Megamo is 23 lbs and some change. Under 24, and it's got the standard run of the mill parts, undrilled DX32, 24.1, Bonz, King rear....

Some bikes just run lighter....

12. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

well the crazy thing about DeSalvo frames, Mike can use thiner tubing for a lighter frame. He told me that he's made a 3 1/4lbs frame for jeremy v. True they don't last as long as production frames(only about a season), but that's a 3 pound frame, most frames are around 4 pounds. so 18 pounds does not suprise me at all. that's stupid light though. Probably because of super thin tubes, and single ply tires(800g for the back and 450g up front), mavic rims. not sure if he runs f.fw. or a standard hub, but possibly a king in the back just super light all around. I wouldn't want to do anything big on that bike, but because he's been running super light bikes for so long. I'm sure he knows exactly how long it will hold up.

13. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

hahaha, andy listes' exact rim choice............

14. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

He rides a Desalvo right??
    So doesn't the steel frame weigh a lot??

It doesn't matter running a light wheel set up can save alot of weight but I like the feeling of the beefy wheels and tires so even my light Woodman frame will be on the heavier side.

15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

My Echo is about 28.5 pounds, and it's got standerd run of the mill parts, undrilled DX32, tioga tries lighter than most, tryall cranks, brisa bars...

Some bikes just run heavier...

16. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Na. My custom steel frame was sub 4. Lasted longer than any aluminum bike I owned also. Steel can be anywhere from 3 to whatever pounds. The weight saved in Dylans bike has very little to do with the frame. Most is in the tires. I bet if you rode it you would be fine. You may get some pinch flats tho. The parts themselves are nothing you've never heard of on a trials bike.

17. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

my zebdi is pretty light considering what im running, 2.5 tires, dual dx32s (drilled up front) and a kniffen heavy, and a real seat, its only 25lbs i know i can shave 2-3 lbs if i cared. id be a whole hell of a lot better if i lost 10lbs off my ass

18. B1105

B1105 New Member

Blah blah blah my bike is 20.5lbs and 75% of it is broken or about to break in the next 10minutes thanks to awesome ECHO!! parts

thats what you get for buying a full echo

19. BenR

BenR Active Member

My 1996 Monty x-lite mod is over 23 pounds.:hsugh:

20. Trialsaddict

Thanks everyone for their feedback... I think I will be satisfied with the 24 lb range. I am sticking to more durable parts etc, so I guess its worth the sacrifice. How does 6 lbs sound for the complete rear wheel....(Rim, tire, cassette, hub, spokes, etc)....