Good vee brakes for the back

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by average mike, Mar 21, 2004.

1. average mike

average mike Guest

Ok, im thinking of going to vees since maggies suck balls, so I was wondering if this is a good setup: Avid Speed Dial SL caliper and lever + any cable + plaz pads= good? Oh yeah, any booster suggestions too?

2. David Weyman

David Weyman It's always 4:20 in Austin!

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

hm....a better bet for the lever would be a XTR lever with XTR housing (cable) and the plaz pads are good as well as teh Avid speed dial SL caliper. are you going to make some 4b-2bolt adapters?

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea I have the Avid SD Ti (the older SL) brakes and they've worked really well. I'm using Kool Stop Salmons which work well, but plaz are probably better. XTR housing is really good and really helps your braking. I've heard XTR levers are the way to do, so I just got some.

5. average mike

average mike Guest

B1105, where did you get your xtr lever from? Did you buy it just as one?

6. bigd

bigd Guest

ditto. xtr lever, xtr cables and housing. ultimate caliper. ive heard of the bushings on the standard avid calipers developing play very early. the ultimate pivots on dual cartridge bearings, no slop. its also engineered better. its the best v-brake caliper for trials.

7. average mike

average mike Guest

Are the SD SL calipers the same as sd 7s except lighter? Thansk for all the comments so far guys

8. B1105

B1105 New Member

Mike, I work at a shop so I just ordered it through that(I got a paid, their worth it more than the Avids, avids ususally develop play on the lever rather early which kinda affects braking).

Yes, the SD SL is the same as the SD7 but with Titanium hardware. The difference is about 15 grams (165 vs 180). I havent noticed any play in my brake arms, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes soon. This is more of a problem with paralled push brakes which have many more pivots while Avids really only have one. Make sure you get a brake booster (I have the Salsa Arc-De-Trioophm, works awesome, kidna pricey though), they really help.

9. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

I prefer the kool stop pads to the plaz pads on V's.

10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I have Avid SD7 levers, very very good until I crashed the first day out, bent the lever to shit, I bent it back but it now has alot of play, dont make any difference in braking power, but the lever feels sloppy giving the feeling of un-stiffness.

The flex difference in the different calipers is marginal, what you should worry about is the bearings (IMO not a huge deal as some think) and the linear springs, these are what makes brakes stiff, crisp, well adjusted (which means more power) and a pleasure to ride.

All in all Avid Ultimates with XTR or good Avid lever, teflon cables, strong/stiff cable housing.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

$20 XTR cable/housing is a MUST, kool stop salmon pads are awesome, for the best deal, go avidu ultimate black ops brake arms, and XTR brake levers... the avid ultimate lever is awesoem IMO, but for the average joe consumer, they are way over priced.

12. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

I've never understood why people say things like that. I mean, even if Maguras do really suck, the biggest and most technical moves are done by people using Maguras, so why waste your money getting "better" brakes when you arent even close to that level yet?

13. Elan

Elan steve french

because the maguras arent really necessary if you aren't to that level yet. for every beginner, a v-brake is all they (or maybe we) need. plus, they are a lot simpler, cheaper, and reliable, so for a beginner it is actually teh wisest choice. and i know AWESOME riders who use only v-brakes. so dont be hate'n.

14. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

Maybe one of us misread the post. He is going FROM Maguras TO V-brakes, right?

15. Elan

Elan steve french

wtf, are you implying that i read it wrong, if so, what you just wrote makes absolutely 0 sense to me. yes, going from maguras to v-brakes is the issue

16. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i see maguras as an expensive, breakable v-brake that leaks poo everywhere every now and then.
    its like having a mental expensive pen made that works without gravity, so you can write in space. the russians did it right when they decided to use a pencil.

the moral of the story:
    i dont see why things should be technical and complicated (and prone to failing) when something simplistic and ALWAYS reliable could be used in its place :)

i dont have anything to add about your brakes mike, so i'll stop here.

17. CHERRIO

CHERRIO New Member

MIKE..i have the didgit 7 lever for my disc brake it works soo goood:)

18. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

Silus:
    You tend to rely on your brakes less as you become a better rider. Not to mention that Vee's are of coursemore powerful than maggies to begin with....

Anyways heres my suggestions Mike. If you want to or have the money to blow, Avid Ultimates are definetely the calipers of choice. If you don't have the cash just get some SD7's. They don't have any linkage to screw up and work well. For levers I would get Shimano XT's if your on a budget or XTR's if not. Their really isnt much difference between them. A shop can most likely order you just one lever but it will probably end up costing as much as a pair from a mailorder company.

One thing to think about. You can probably get an SD7 caliper and a set of XT levers for the same amount that just an Avid Ultimate caliper would cost...

19. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

how are you putting them on your bike?

20. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

once upon a time v-brakes didn't exist, so biketriallers started using maguras. V-brakes exist now, and work great, maguras are a heavy, flawed and overcomplicated relic of days gone by. I used to use an sd5 lever, flak jacket cabling, old LX calipers (DX calipers with less red and BIG SQUARE SPRINGS) and plaz pads on a light grind. the setup would grip under any circumstances, no matter how high or low I hit the object in question. completely beautiful. I'm going to attempt agrade's canti mount bodge on my echo pure and go back to a similar setup, this time with ultimate levers and thinner pads (I can't imagine the plaz working on my try-all rim).

- Joel