Good Stock Tires?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BenR, Dec 13, 2004.

1. BenR

BenR Active Member

What do you think are good stock tires? I want something light weight and fairly tough.

I've been thinking of getting the Kenda Kenetics Stick-E tire for the rear and the Panaracer Fire Mud Pro tire for the front. Do you think 1.8 is too small for the front?
    And are these good choices?

2. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

1.8 is 2 small imho. im going to use a 2.3 soon.. using 2.1 now and i want to run lower pressure

3. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

use a big squishy tire on the back. the goodness is worth the extra weight and then some, then a whole lot more. i know nothing about the kenda so i won't say much about it, but people use the michelin 24.1 and the maxxis minion for a reason i guess.

i never really worried about my front tire until a little while ago. light and crappy was good for me - heavy front tires killed a lot of my moves. now that i gap to front, tap, hook (crappily :( ) and stick on the side of stuff i rely a lot more on my front, and need a better tire. the more you use your front, the bigger/stickier tire you need IMHO

4. BenR

BenR Active Member

Ok, what about a Hutchinson Misquito Airlight tire? It's size 2.3.

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

Take the weight in the rear and get a 2 ply tire so you avoid pinch flats. Micheling Comp 24.1 2.2 in rear and Maxxis Minion DH F 2.35 ST in front on Michelin Hot S 2.2

6. Boo_Berry

Boo_Berry Guest

i don't kno about mud tires -- it kinda depends (again) on whether or not u ride to your destinations a lot, cuz if u do, you're going to be using a little too much energy pedalling. i run a panaracer fire xc on the front (i think its a 2.1 or something), fairly light for tapping and other bouncy type moves... and a irc kujo dh (mostly cuz of the rolling resistance being realli low)...

i'm kinda on the iffy side for kenda, michelin's rule except for the price (super sticky tho), maxxis has that slow reezay (or whatever) and so forth... i dont kno dood, i'd just never get kenda for trials

7. BenR

BenR Active Member

Ive made up my mind

irc kujo in the rear 2.35

panaracer 1.8 in the front

8. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Dont get a Kujo. I guarantee you will regret it.

9. goose

goose New Member

mmm

I run kujo, and for any urbany type setting it's quite good, even fair on dry rocks. Pinch flat resistance is excellent, and the grip is OK. It's no michelin/maxxis, but the tread lasts a long time, and costs about half what a the frenchies are selling for.

Coincidentally, I too use a fire XC pro up front. It's pretty narrow, and I prefered my el gato, but I'm too lazy/cheap to replace the front.

That's all I've got for ya:)

goose

10. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I'll second the panaracer up front...but I use a kenda on the back because I'm cheap. So no comment there.

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

my old kujo was a piece of shit

12. Elan

Elan steve french

ill give you a kujo for free

13. Peace

Peace pedocrab

michelin comp 16 2.2 on the rear and a kenda Nevegal 2.2 stick-e on the front, i will never get non sticky compound tires again, the grip is just phenominal! That kenda has a fuck off chunky tread pattern but its still a decent weight for the front, the sidewalls are a bit floppy, still never gonna pinch on it though cos the knobs are huge!
    Would like to try one on the rear...
    Kujo's are ok... just... i would rather a kujo than an elgato... fuck i hate that tire.
    Peace

14. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

proven. Michelin 24.1 in 2.2 for the rear and Michelin hot S red 2.1 up front.

15. BenR

BenR Active Member

OK

I am using an old panaracer of mine in the front and Im getting a Michelin Hot S 2.5 in the rear.

16. BenR

BenR Active Member

You think that's a good choice?

17. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Hot S was good til I rode in wet condition...it slips like hell. Then switch to Comp 24.1 soft for the rear & it feels a lot grippier in wet...not to mention the sidewall is much stronger. I have the Hot S in the front now.

18. huffylover

huffylover manstalker dan walker

many many moons ago i ran some skinny specialized front (like a 1.9) with my light wheel (28 spoke old mavic 217 with xtr hub) without much trouble. For the rear i had an el gato then a kujo DH, both were pretty decent. I rode mostly urban so i ran high psi like @50 all the time. Now I have moved on and i run the michelins with lower psi and i ride more natural stuff and it grips like wonder woman's thighs. I will admit the sidewalls on the IRCs are pretty damn thin.

19. BenR

BenR Active Member

Ok, but how fast do the michelins wear? Should I get it in 2.5 or something else?

20. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

Are you talking about the hot s or the 24.1