GOOD PEDALS???

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Feb 24, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

What are some good pedals? I my triple traps I thought were pretty decently grippy till I got on a set of pinned platforms...forgot to ask the guy what they were, but were gripper than my damn Triple traps.

I like the width and profile of the triple traps, wide in both directions, from heel to toe, and accross....they're decently light too, but they're not that grippy. You'de think they'de be with 3 rows of cages, but whatever. That, and I've had to ighten the outer cage once already is pretty ghey....

What are som great pedals that don't cost you a paycheck, and won't break if they even slightly graze a rock, but are halfway decent on teh scale? There prolly is no median, but what do you guys use? I'm ready to swap....

2. Elan

Elan steve french

VP, far better than the gay triple shit, $20.

3. ty

ty Guest

i just orderd some sun ringle zu-zu's ($40) i hear they are great, ive ridden another bike with them, they feel nice. i have truativ hussefelt pedals on my dirt jumper, they are super grippy but pretty expensive, around $100 give or take. I had some s&m pedals on my trials bike, just cheap platform they work well but the cage fell off the axle last night, oops. The azonic magnesuim pedals are sticky but if you hit them on anything pins fall out.

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Zu-Zu's....ANybody get that package deal from Pricepoint where you get the ZuZus and 661 shoes for I think like $60? Anybody know how well those shoes grip?

Eh....I'm prolly gonna getting Zu-zu's since they're cheap and easily attainable, but I just wanna see what other people have had success/praise...right now, I'm wishing I WOULD have spent the $10 less bucks and got some Diamondback pinned platforms......

5. Elan

Elan steve french

yes, if you hit vp on anything, you bend hte cages back...taht will do for a while, then you can buy 5 more pairs for hte price of one set of platforms..just my 2C

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

And be riding VPS!! the entire time. Why not spend that 5 times the price on a better set of pedals that will last years isntead of a month a pair (i.e. VPs).

my opinion, pedals on a budget = zuzus
    best pedals money can buy: atomlab aircorps

Its your choice really, after trying mediocre pedals and VPs I said fuck it and bought the good stuff.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

ah, if your gay and you bash stuff with your pedal that is... i have had my VPs for over a year, and they are in good shape.

8. OTAdmin

The bearings inside my pedal spindle on the VPs are trashed

9. Elan

Elan steve french

i weigh 165lb...

10. Morryjg

Morryjg Guest

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=18044

I run the non-mag version of these pedals and really like them. The mag version is on sale for 22 bucks so they are pretty high on the deal-e-o meter in my opinion. This thread was timed really well 'cause I was going to post that these were on sale today anyway.

*edit* Hey Bill -- In the future if we find cool deals on gear where should we post them? I figured for sale or trials discussion?

11. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i ran specialized bmx platofrm pedals all last year. pins wore down as time went by, and i more and more often i would be standing on my crank arm when pedal kicking around, in crazy situations.

since im the cheapest person youve ever seen, i still wont spend $17 on a new pair of zuzu clones. i got me some 1/2" sheet metal screws and put 6 on each side of each pedal. insane doesnt describe them. if i ever slip on them im gonna shred myself to hell. i gotta post a pic of them. anyways from now on im gonna get the cheapest black platforms i can, pull out the stock pins and replace them with sheet metal screws.

12. OTAdmin

Sure Jack, put em in the for sale forum. As long as the amount of "cool deals" posts doesn't get out of hand, I think that sounds like a fine idea.

13. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

VPs are like $22 and sun ringle zu-zus are like $30... so for $8 dollars more u get pedals that last 5 times longer, and grip way better (even w/monty shoes). Sorry elen but ur def wrong

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I had Welgo B52s or some shit on my .243....they were cromo heavy pedals pinned platforms....looked identical to those MG-1s you just linked me to, but cromoly...AWESOME GRIP, heavy as hell, attributed to teh 38lb curb weigh, but gripped. I dunno if I want my pedals to be the heaviest thing on my bike :rofl:

How well do those magnesium pedals hold the pins? I don't bash my pedals on hardly anything, but I remember the pins on my cromo ones got loose after like 2 months of HARD riding...from vibrations I guess....

15. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

The problem with Zu Zus is on real hard smacks the fronts of the cages cave in and eventually break away. I guess if you really rode a TON of UCI that woudl never happen, but even Mr. Pfunder has delapatated Zu Zus. They do definately last at least 5 times longer than VPs, personally I like the Azonic A frames.....

16. Elan

Elan steve french

aye, whatever.

17. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

not whatever- vp's suck. the sooner the trials world gets this the better off we will all be. i have run zuzu's, and now two kinds of welgos. the welgo pedals im on now have already outlasted any vp i have tried to use in the past and they are only 30g heavier over the pair and i hear there are ti axles available for them.

the welgo b27 is a great pedal if you like platform pedals. they use the same size pin as the azonic a-frames so those are durrable. the big plus is they weigh like close to 100g lighter than a-frames. something to look into. these are the same pedals as the tioga mx-pros.

18. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I remove the inner cage from my VPs, replace it with a washer and they last 6-12 months with occasional accidental bashing on rocks. UCI is better you see :) ...and I weigh 155 lbs now...

- Joel

19. Morryjg

Morryjg Guest

Cool. I doubt it'll come up very often, but $60 pedals for $22 seemed like a pretty sweet deal. Especially, for the 'bike fund challenged.' :rofl: