ghetto der. cable adjustment

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Sonic, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

I bought this on eBay, but it has dissapeared after arriving: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3657937851&category=42330&rd=1

So I must have some type of ghetto setup till the new one gets here. I remember seeing someone use a short length of cable that led up to the first cable guide under the top tube and then had this tiny screw like adjuster that supposedly worked great. I believe they said you should be able to buy it at a hardware store, does anyone remember what this was?

Is it just some type of long threaded housing you crimp onto the end of the cable and then screw a screw into it that pulls the housing towards the screw and tightens the cable?

Anyway, some insight would be appreciated, need it setup for this weekend.

2. Elan

Elan steve french

just get the end of a piece of brake or shifter cable, stick it trough the barrel adjuster until the little bastard at teh end of the cable is stuck in the adjuster then adjust your derailleur and tighten it ont othe cable...

3. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Dustin,

Get a brake cable, it has a bigger stop (any V brake cable will work) thread it through the rear. der. directly (using none of the cable stops) and tension it up to hold the der. in place.

You wont need to mess with any of the limit screws or take any springs out or anything. You will simply be using the machine fitted cable end to hold it firmly (as the shifter would) and the tension from your der. bolt to hold the other end of the cable taught as it should. After it is all tensioned up (move the cage into position, then tighten) cut the cable and you will simply have about 2 1/2 inches of cable holding your der (completely intact) in your trials gear.

*EDIT* this is what Elan said, I just clarified, sorry didnt bother reading his post, I guess they are becoming more helpful.

4. Sonic

Heh, Dan, I was trying to hide my ignorance, but I did need more clarification, thanks. :bigthumb:

I did already remove the spring inside the bolt housing, that shouldnt affect me should it?

5. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

no i used it like that for a year on my zebdi. it gives you a range of 2 gears if you keep the barrel adjuster, and if thats your thing.
    its fine without one though. right now i have some bodged xtr i made into a tensioner. spiffy.

6. Sonic

Awesome, when class lets out Ill be putting it to the test. Thanks again.

7. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

i'm running a derailer with no barrel adjuster, cable, or shifter. All you have to do is set the limit screws to where you want the derailer.

8. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

:rant2: Shifters are gay.

I use same as dolph.

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i get cable, put it through the tightening screw on the moving bit of the mech, through the hole on the non moving bit where the housing usually fits next to, then back around and under the screw, put the mech in the gear i want, pull the cable tight and tighten the screw.

i used the limit setting screws but the screws ended up digging into the derailier itself and causing lots of trouble.

10. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

derailleurs are gay, I use singleator.

- Joel

11. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Singulators are gay. I would like to pay 3x as much for a single jockey wheel. My modded mech would weigh a similar weight, if not lighter, and holds the chain tighter. And it was $40. However the dabomb singulator copy looks exactly the same, but half the price.

Spot the difference.

Da Bomb Copy (same factory?)

[​IMG]

Surly Singulator

[​IMG]

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

singleator no longer looks like that. Rohloff has the best solution for non-derailler dealy bobs...

13. bigd

bigd Guest

i have a singleator on my road commuter, i have the tension wound up so friggin tight. the singleator is good because you can have it spring up or down, and it it springs up (will hit some frames, so doesn't always work) it wraps the chain around more of the cog. thats good, and it holds itself up high. i've seen cheap versions of the singleator, they bind up when you increase the tension or they flex. the rohloff is god beause its a very short cage, they twist more and add higher tension. the new singleator has these frilly looking chainguides on each side. gay. i assume they're removable though.

[​IMG]

14. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I removed the guide from my (older model) singleator and it works exactly the same, derailleurs have too many linkages and bearings and slop to be singleated permanently - they always wobble around to much and come out of adjustment. The rohloff singleator, it seems, is the shiz, but hard to get.

- Joel