Getting- up Technique

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by two8616, Oct 23, 2004.

1. two8616

two8616 Guest

I just started riding bike trials a few months ago (I came from mototrials) and I'm catchin on pretty quick to pedal kicking and big drops, but I have major problems with getting up anthing taller than 2 feet or so. The technique I'm using now is: setting front wheel up onto an object and then giving some front brake to get rear wheel lift. I can do this straight on or at an angle- but I really want to learn how to get up bigger things like rails. Could anyone explain how to get height with the rear wheel? I'm having a very difficult time with it. Thanks

2. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

i dont know if this helps you are anything, but the way i learned to get up was to watch a trials movie, and when someone does a big up, i watch that part over and over again to watch how they do it

3. digby

digby New Member

pretend your hips/legs are the throttle, give it some gas and dont use the brake.

4. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

I have a few questions about upping, specifically pedal ups.

1- Do the bars go to the hips before, or just as the jump is completed? In other words, do the bars touch the hips as a preliminary to lifting the bike after the jump, or do they touch just as the jump is completed? I feel like if I leave the handlebars slightly lower down until after I am in the air I can jump more forcefully, but I could see how bringing them up just as the jump finishes could give you some extra height.

2- Does jumping ability matter at all? I have been trying for a very long time to be able to pedal up over wheel height, but I can't seem to get any higher. This is aggrivating becuase I can jump standing on to something over four feet tall. Are different muscles involved in the jump on a bike as opposed to on foot? Those of you who can up three feet or more without a tap, how high can you jump on foot?

3- If I posted a short clip of myself doing a pedal up, could anyone take a look at it and tell me what I am doing wrong? I have nobody to ride with and any help would be greatly appreciated!

5. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Definately post a clip if you like, although I'm not the one you should ask for help. Ive been riding for over three years, and having learned only to roll up stuff and bunnyhop, I never learned to pedal-up or tap. So at the moment I can roll up stuff at about bar height, and can only pedal up wheel height. Its really hard to try and re-learn how to get up things after 3 years of riding and competitions.

i think jumping (on foot) will help for sure, not only in ups, but in general fitness and flexibilty for trials.

6. BrettB

BrettB noob framebuilder

definetly watch some vids they will help alot

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

you guys are way to over analytical, don't worry about hips to bars yet. just get the basic moves down now, then once you start upping 30" worry about taps etc

8. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

actually it's best to learn the proper technique when you start, as opposed to learning sloppy/wrong then having to refine everything shitloads when you start topping out your height.

9. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Wow, if you can roll up something 3', that's very impressive!

I disagree Andreas, on foot, my vertical jump improved by over a foot in two days just by drilling correct technique.

I wonder if there is some formula of things to think about when doing a pedal up. This is what I came up with after watching vincent do a pedal up frame by frame. Please tell me if any of these steps are incorrect.

[font=&quot]Toes are just over the edge of the pedal. Head faces forwards. The jump starts just as the front pedal becomes parallel with the downtube. The hips thrust towards the bars. The rear leg stays relatively straight throughout, bending slightly then applying a punch as the pedal stroke ends. The front leg bends considerably more and jumps as per a normal jump. Both knees stay behind the toes, with a backward body lean of about 30 degrees. Ankles snap at the end of the jump. The body is brought completely straight, still leant back about 30 degrees. Takeoff happens a bout a foot and a half away from the object. Bars hit the hips just after takeoff, not during. After takeoff the bars are extended in a line directly in front of the hips. The hips are still angled back about 35 degrees. After takeoff, the head is turned down to better see the edge. The head and torso are brought down forcefully and the face ends up very close to the brakes. The abdomen and thighs touch each other, with the torso in between the legs rather than resting on top.[/font]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i mean that you should get it right the first time, so you already get the extra foot at the start without having to work for ages later.

ie; learning incorrect technique then having to practice like ass later on to get it right is gay.

read teh postorsz?

11. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Sorry Agrade, I confused you for andreas. Post fixed.

12. Simonk

Simonk Guest

do you think about walking that way? or breathing? no, because your brain does its magic and tells your body what to do without having to consciously think about every single small detail. Of course when you are learning you need to slowly teach yourself the finer points, but dont try to think about everything all at once, unless you have some sort of super brain you'll just confuse yourself. Try when you ride to try and concentrate on single small details at a time, for example a few weeks ago i was practicing tap ups, and i thought, maybe i should preload more, and after two goes it worked for me.

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Play with gearing. I know when I had 21/22 gearing I couldn't pedal up for shit, mayble like 3-5 inches below my pedal kick. I switched to 20/18 and my sidehops are as high as my pedal kicks up onto a ledge, and I can actually pedal up as high, if not higher than my kick up onto a ledge. I'm about headtube height right now, ALMOST bar. Just by changing gearing I was able to pedal up and I gained a couple inches, and actually GAINED a technique...but in terms of actual height...that just comes with time....

14. Yurich

Yurich New Member

wow, I'll have to completely disagree. when I switched to 22-21 from 22-19, my ups got twice as smooth, and I could gap almost a foot more

15. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Like I said...gearing is preference. In my case, at 1st I hated switching to it, but the 1st time I tried a pedal up, I got it now problems, and now they're almost as consistent as my pedal kicks. Gearing plays a role, get the gearing that's comfy with you, not necessarally(sp?) 22-21 or 22-18...get what works for you...