generic rotors for Avid

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RomanC, Jul 23, 2004.

1. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Has anybody used generic rotors for Avid mech discs? I have used a Kool Stop rotor with Kool stop pads and things were pretty good. Now I decided to run a bigger rotor 185mm. I am using the DiaTech avid look alike replica and EBC Red pads. So far its sucking ass and the pads are showing some significant wear already after two days. Any experiences?

2. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i have great luck w/ stock avid pads and rotors

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Yeah but stock avid pads/rotor is like 55 and you can buy a whole new brake for 69 on cambria.

4. Tanner

Tanner New Member

I think aztec makes a generic rotor..

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Yeah they do. In fact that's what I had before. I think kool stop only make pads and not rotors.

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

go for the avid "parallelagram" rotor or whatever its called. i think they are supposed to be cheaper than the clean sweaps but so far i have had great luck with them on my dh bike.

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Not generic.. but 170ish Louise rotor.. EBC Reds. Insanely good... rotor is nice and thick as well.

8. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

The Aztec and the DiaTech rotors are 2mm thick. I suspect that my new rotor is not broken in yet.

tzimon: How is the wear on your EBC pads?

9. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

i think its the polygon or polygram or sumthin. pretty sure it starts with poly.

10. Shipley

Shipley ..........

The wear on the EBC's has been really good compared to what I heard to expect. I've got like 5-6 months on em i think.. still running great. I love em.. won't use anything else now I bet.

11. Cole

Cole New Member

I've been running the avid polygon 185 mm rotor with ebc blue pads or something. It is super sick.

12. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I just threw on some old Avid pads I had laying around (one pad is almost to the metal). At any rate the power went up significantly. So I don't know what the deal with the EBC red pads then.

Are the EBC pads supposed to be of different color or is it the same gray looking pad with different lables (red/bronze etc)?

13. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I'm fuzzy on the color.. it was a while back.. i think they were slightly different.. but mostly you could see the sintering i think.

At any rate.. they had insane bite right out of the package for me. Hasn't wavered once. I've gotten them wet, they didn't like it for about a minute maybe each time, then right back to full power even though they were still really useable when wet.

*Miraculous Magura rotor maybe?

14. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Maybe they require softer rotor metal to work better. Any experts on the issue?

15. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I use EBC red pads with Hope mini's and they work great. Maybe a half second of wear in out of the package. They don't work great once they get wet but as said before they get right back to work soon after.

16. Peace

Peace pedocrab

http://www.leesonbikes.co.uk/products1.html get one of those rotors! i have run one......untill i snapped my forks! it has wicked power! still has modulation but if you want it grab it will grab. Shes goin back on there as soon as i get some decent forks...
    Peace

17. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

What pads/calipper did you use with that Leeson disk? How was the pad wear by the way?

18. oicdn

oicdn Guest

19. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Yeah that does seem pretty cheap. Those rotors are not expensive to make at all if you have the machine to do it. The braking track needs to be wider though for the avid pads.

20. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you mean a giant laser cutter?