Gearing, freewheel vs. cassette

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Turtlehead, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

Alright, I'm trying to pick the right gear to be in when I ride on my new bike... problem being, the gear I want is not there, it would exist between gears... so, my question is, if I purchased a freewheel with on more or one less tooth, would this solve my problem, or would I have the same ratios, just using different gears? (I know, I've been incredibly lazy, and haven't counted the teeth on my freewheel and cassette, I gotta get to school and wanted to see if simply changing one tooth in front could be a quick fix, or if I actually need to count teeth and do some of that mathematical stuff that I suck so bad at...
    Thanks...

2. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

the mathematical stuff isn't hard. Most gears are expressed as (for example) 22/18 or 18/15 or whatever. Divide the size of the front cog by the size of the rear cog and you will get a number with which you can compare different ratios, even if they use different combinations of front and rear. In short, you have to count the teeth on the gears you're using. It would be easier to change the cassette than the freewheel, given how securely they are generally attached.

- Joel

3. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

Huh... see, I'm for sure buying a new freewheel, and was hopeful I could fix the problem without having to do both ends of the deal, but I might have to huh... hmm... I'll get off my lazy bum tonight and count...

4. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

yes, count the freewheel teeth and a few cogs on the cassette and we'll tell you how to live your life :)

for instance 22/18 is a popular gear for streety stuff, a little high for natural many think. it comes out to 1.22.

22/19 is popular for natural (1.157) as is 20/17 (1.17). for people running front freewheel, 18/15 is popular (1.2).

- Joel

5. digby

digby New Member

damn turtlehead you are lazy. I'm amazed you can get off the couch for long enough to get a crap out.

seriously though, on your cassete, there should be #'s on each cog, you just gotta look for em. What rear hub/cassette did you end up going with?

6. jamesb

jamesb Member

Are there 21 tooth front chainrings? I can't find any.

7. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

lol, digby, you know me well.. ha...
    The hub is an echo and the cassette is one of those crappy sunrace one's if I'm not mistaken??? whatever graham does stock in his orders...

8. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I've never come across 21t front chainrings, if there were any they'd probably only be in compact drive.

- Joel