FSA V Drives or RaceFace Turbines?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Apr 27, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

I'm coming to the point where I want some new cranks so I can fit my VP cage pedals. My currenty setup is a driveside FSA Vdrive and a non driveside Truvativ Hussefelt. I know its a scrwed up, but I had so many misc. parts lying around but those were the only cranks in 170mm length I had when I started trials.

My question is, I have liked the current crank setup, except my non drive side Tru Vativ will not accept a VP cage pedal. So therefore I have to get a new set of cranks or find a non drive FSA. Regardless, Im debating between the FSA V drive extremes or the Race Face turbines. The FSAs are heavier i believe but as an employee, I can buy almost 3 pairs for the price of a set of turbines. Which should I go for?

In addition, is the Salsa Trials Bash Guard any good? Any input on this bash would be awesome.

Thanks

Byron

2. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

just grind the cage down on your vp's, those are like 14$ pedals..

3. Elan

Elan steve french

well, IMO the reaceface turbine is the best MTB crank available for trialsy use..the bonz and middleburns are nice, but compact drive RF is cheap and awesome

4. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i currently run the vdrive extremes. like you, i appreciated the fact that they are les then 40 bucks cost. as opposed to the turbines which are 125 (170mm). i really like the turbines except for the fact that i bent 2 pair, and stripped the innerchainring bolts out of both cranks. granted this happened because i was running a 22-15gear, and the turbines use 8mm spacers for the innerchainring which, i think gave them a higher probability of stripping.

race face warrantied the first set of cranks. but it takes forever to get them over the border! i recieved the new set and within 5 months it happened again. i sent them back and they told me that the only i would recieve a new set of cranks is if i spent MORE money to upgrade to the north shores. although it was a reasonable offer on there part, i decided to buy the fsa's instead. they've been going strong for the past year!

when i come across sme more money, i will probably buy a set of isis tryall cranks. i figure it'll give me more clearance, be just as light as turbines, and cost around the same price.

hope that helped.

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

yea I am a weigh weenie which is really the only reason I considered the turbines at 425 grams. Any idea what the FSAs weight is(only the crank arms)?

6. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i think its atleast 650 grams. im not totally sure though. i think the tryalls with bashring and 18t cog will end up weighing the same as turbines and and bashring and chainring.