FSA "The Pig" - any good?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bloodhound, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Its oviously on the far lower end of headsets, but are there any particular complaints or praises? Is it a good cheep headset?

Thanks

2. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

crappy walmart headset. dont buy it.

3. vince

vince Member

Yes it is good, get it in cartridge preferably. But for the price you can't go wrong:$35, or ~$70 for cartridge.

What else is there really thats priced "well"?

4. seandom

seandom New Member

i got one on my bike. i like it.

everyones seems to say thats it heavy, but i dont really notice it :dunno:

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

if you are spending ~70 bucks on a headset save up a scosh more and go for the race face diabolus headset. steel cups, deeper contact, much much nicer bearings.

if you are lookign for a cheap headset, the other stuff from fsa is much nicer than the pig. the pig is super heavy for what it is, not very nice quality... the other stuff from fsa in the similar or slighty higher price range (40-60 bucks) is much better.

6. WhiteRavenKS

saying a headset is heavy is like saying the crap you just took was heavy. it doesnt really matter but if you are trying to build a light bike, every little bit counts. if you can drop 50 grams in a headset, that's 50g you wont have to lose some place else.

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Oh gee.. heavy headset... that'll be like a boat anchor. Get the DH version and you won't be worrying about your headset any time soon. It's been holding up to taps and front wheel moves as well. A little over 2 years on mine through multiple frames and forks.

Edit: Kevin got his post in before me... I got mine at cost so it was dirt cheap (20 bucksish), if they're $70 retail that's insane. I agree with him, pick up the RaceFace.

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Headsets are far far down the priority list. I've never owned anything else than cheepish headsets so I probably wont know what I'm missing out on. The Pig is $25 CAD, so about $20 usd. About the weight, I totally agree with what Kevin said. It all adds up, and since my bike desperately needs to shed a couple pounds it might be something to consider. 26lbs is my aim.

9. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

the pig is the bomb....I've had my current one on three bikes.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

they are a popular headset... reliable, cheap, works... there is really not much they have to do, so basically anything will work. hermance had like a $10 tioga headset it seems. haha. personally the king headset i smy favorite because they just seem to last forever. there are a few 5-6 year old ones that come by my shop, and feel perfect. i am not inpressed by hte raceface i have in my ellsworth though...too many damn parts, and pretty crappy feeling to even a fsa pig.

11. Patrick

Patrick New Member

never had anything BUT an FSA Pig... 4 years straight.. wow I suck.

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I have chris king headsets, so I am cool when I go on XC rides.

13. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

pig = eh, $30 ok headset, you will ruin it
    pig dh = $50 sealed nice, i have one, but only till it falls apart and it will be replace w/..
    king = $130, complete headset ownage...light and strong :)

14. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

....most kings go for 90ish...

15. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

$90 is a few bux over dealer cost....

16. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

17. WhiteRavenKS

so is everything online.
    and that's why online parts sales are slowly killing the local bike shop...

18. Shipley

Shipley ..........

:down: Most shops barely make a profit after working their asses off.... support them or they won't be around much longer.

Pig DH.... available through your local shop, even if the shop sucks. Go and get one, look around while you're there, buy some streamers and a flag, talk some shit with the mechanics...

(getting down off the soap box...)

19. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

my local shop sells Kings for 100 :dunno: I usually order from my local bike shop if they have the part and if it isn't a 200% markup from normal intraweb prices. if they don't have it in stock i'll look elsewhere (After seeing if they can order it...)

20. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

mail order is a terrible thing, and next time you rip your der off, and run down to the shop, to get a new one and the dont have it in stock, its your fault for buying everything you didnt need right away from some online shit hole