Front V Pads?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Jackhammer, May 31, 2004.

1. Jackhammer

Jackhammer New Member

Hey

Whats everyone using pad-wise on their front V's these days? I'm looking for a pad that has decent lockup, yet still has decent modulation.

I've tried Plaz CRV, Generic black pads, and Kool Stop dual compound but none have met my expectations for the front. The CRV's were too powerful with no modulation whatsoever, blakc pads were ok, and the Koolstops are pretty good, except they bend (figure that) and leave a portion this -> <- wide touching the rim, which results in terrible performance.

What should i be running?

2. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

did you file off the little plow thing on the kool stops? if not, do so and you will love them.

3. Ryden

Ryden Guest

I just say kool stops because they are so dam cheap. I have heard good things about the salmons, and at $5 a pair you can't go wrong. Little android man sounds like he has the right idea.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Try the Salmons, if that doesnt feel good, get a disc. They have awesome modulation and power.

5. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

koolstop...not so hot

I have koolstop salmons on my front v's right now, and I know what he's talking about - the bending has nothing to do with the little plow. When the brakes are applied, literally 3/4" of brake pad, directly beneath the mounting bolt, touches the rim. both the front and back of the pad are bent away from the rim. I say go with spanish fly's if the crv's don't have the modulation you want. As long as your front rim isn't ground, they'll give you some slip when you want it.

6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

spanish fly's on an unground rim is an awesome front brake. I've tried many different front combos because just like you, I was never happy with it. I finally settled on the s-flies with no grind. On the back, I sometimes hate them and sometimes love em.

Just remember to wipe the rim clean every 30-60min of ridding pending climate.

7. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

I like xtr pads. Great modulation and decent lock up. They last a fair while too. And it's cheap and easy to replace them because you only have to replace the rubber.