front ring- steel/alloy

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bigd, Apr 11, 2004.

1. bigd

bigd Guest

im ordering some bits soon, and ive always used steel front rings. do alloy rings last any longer? i wouldn't think so, i'd assume they're only used for weight but wear faster. so anyways, what out there seems to last people the longest? ive been using race face 22t steel rings for years, but it seems they're wearing out faster and faster. i wanna try some other shtuff.

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

I had used a Salsa ring on my DH bike, and those are beefy. Their not steel, but I think theyd do alright for trials. If not, try a sugino from Trialsin, their steel and cheap.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

i broke my alloy ring the 3rd day i started riding "trials" on my kona. i am running the blackspire chuck granny ring, it seems ok so far...

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

the chain ring that comes on hussefelt trials cranks is alloy, and it lasted me a year of hard use. only reason i needed to replace it was the teeth got hooky on them and were sucking the chain up. so now i ride a steel raceface ring, only because my dumb shop didnt have any alloy ones and i didnt want to wait.

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

the ring that came on my hussefelts is the best 22 tooth ring i have ever used. and as RomanR said, its alloy.

6. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Used a few ghetto steel rings now. All worked well. Had the Blackspire Chuck's granny too. Nice ring. Teeth don't wear quickly and if somehow you bend a tooth or two (not that I ever ermm.. have) you can always bend and file with no worries.
    Steel, don't skimp on the hardest workin part of your trials bike.

7. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Alloy (most Alluminums) are softer than steel. They do wear faster. Buy a diamond chain ring... last forever.