Observed Trials banner

Freewheel problems :(

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  giannib 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently built up my new 2011 Neon Bow stock frame. I absolutley love it. A couple days ago i got home from school late and relized that i was going to be late for work. I knew that the only way to get to work in time was to ride the only bike I have right now... the Neon Bow.... I know trials bikes are very slow but i didnt have another option... no car and no efficient bus routes...

So as im pedaling as fast as i can and I get my pants stuck in my freewheel (my bad for wearing loose work pants near a freewheel)i was then hurled over my handlebars and thrown into a bush... with my bike because i was stuck to my bike :( 20 minutes later and with some help from some random people walking by i was finaly free from my freewheel (no pun intended) although it would have been cool to tell my fellow co-workers that i was attacked by a tiger on the way to work it just wasnt worth ripping the pants... therefore i had to carefully get the pants out of the freewheel...

So once im finaly out i decide to begin riding again, only to realize that there was something rubbing.... after determining that it wasnt my brakes and my rear tire wasnt misaligned (rubing the frame) i found this... (see picture) my White industries ENO freewheel had come apart and the sproket part of it is jamed against the BB yoke of my frame :wtf: now, i know these freehwheels are "Rebuildable" and it is relatively easy to find parts for it but i dont know if its worth it, since the picture was taken on my $hity phone you cant see that much detail, but upon a closer look you can see that there is quite a bit of damage :(

Some people are telling me to just rebuild it and some people are telling me that its not worth it and its best to get a new freewheel...

I think im going to save myself the trouble of trying to track down parts and im going to get a new freewheel...

Im stuck between the Echo SL 108, the Echo SL Ti 108 (which would cost more but not as bad as i thought it would... same price as my white ind eno) or the Tryall/Trialtech/Rockman 108 freewheels (which all seem to be the same design but badged by different companies)

I have some people telling me that they do not trust the Echo Freewheels and some people telling me to stay away from the 108 Try/Trial/Rock 108 freewheels...

I am currently leaning towards the Echo SL Ti freewheel... whats your opinion?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Get the regular Echo SL. You don't need the ti... plus there's not enough of it there to justify the price or weight savings. DO NOT buy a Rockman... I have one on my stock bike and it's going in the garbage as soon as I get another SL. Complete (skipping, popping, bad feeling, quite) piece of crap. I haven't used the Try-All or Trialtech, but yeah, I think they're all the same freehweel with different logos. I could be wrong. Long story short... buy an Echo SL and be done with it all.

#12 ·
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having issue is a WI FW. They are suppose to be re-buildable, but if you check out my thread about "re-building" it, entitled: DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN!! (FF HELP) you'll see a different story.

I'm in the process of ordering an ECHO SL right now!

#13 ·
I`m bringing this up.

Is it normal to have play between the body and driveshell?

It acts up when i put tension with my left leg (front leg). And i feel the play in my feet. If you know what i mean. The freewheel is an ECHO TR , 72 Points , it has never skipped.

Also when i shake it something rattles inside of it. Like some pebbles.

It engages fine when i turn it by hand , it doesn`t skip any engagement from what i can tell.

Should i tighten the lockring ? If I open it up will it get worse (skipping , not getting back toghether )

I`m afraid that it will blow up when doing a gap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.