Freewheel problem

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by mhoulmont, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mhoulmont

mhoulmont Member

Well, my freewheel recently broke. I ordered a new one and went to put it on and my old one is fused on the crank arm. In an effort to get it off, I removed everything except the part that acturally threads on the crank arm. I need to get this off. I guess if I can't get it off, I'll just order another driveside crank arm, but I don't really want to do that.

-Mike

2. mhoulmont

mhoulmont Member

I've read that thread. That doesn't help much. I got everything taken off, but the rest of the freewheel is fused on.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

you cant get it off then. youre fucked over. get a new set up.

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Does your freewheel still have the removal tabs? Put the freewheel tool in a vice, then put the crank on it, slide a long pipe onto the crank arm, and give'r until it comes off. You could soak the threads with wd40, though it's not gonna do anything really. If the removal tabs on the freewheel are ground off, clamp the freewheel body in the vice, get a long pipe and torque it off.

5. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I'm with Roman - if it doesn't work, and you mess it up, your option to buy a new one is still there -

6. s.s.king

s.s.king Guest

use a torch warm the steel it should thread off easily try to stay away from the aluminum. if this does not work clamp whats left of the freewheel in a vise use a good use piece of pipe slide it over your crank arm leverage is your friend

7. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

This will be extremely difficult since aluminum absorbs heat much faster than steel. It's probably worth a try anyway, though.

8. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

That might actually be a bad idea...The alluminum is going to absorb most of the energy and actually wedge it's self into the freewheel even more...I could be wrong, if the crank arms were steel and the free wheel alluminum then it would work wonders.
    Throwing it in the freezer for a night would probably work better than heat due to the circumstances. But it's worth a try regardless, just direct the heat at the freewheel...

Or cut the bastard off with an angle grinder, just dont go right through:dunno: