Frame repairs?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by streetnutter, May 1, 2004.

1. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

I have a small crack in my frame where the seat stay meets the top tube on the non-drive side.

It is about 2 cm long and runs under neath the tube.

It is on a Monty X-lite 221 2002.

How long do you think the frame will last like this, I am a light rider and only weigh 9 stone.

Is it a better idea to get it repaired or leave it?

I love the way the bike rides but can not aford a new frame?

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers, Bill

2. felix

felix New Member

Its better if you weld it.
    Otherwise the crack becomes bigger and bigger.
    I know many guys who had the same problem with their Montys.
    They all welded the cracks and rode their frames until another crack at a different place of the frame appeared.

3. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

Do you reckon the frame will be ok if the crack is welded for about 3 months, because by then I will be able to get a new frame.

Bill

4. Tanner

Tanner New Member

good luck with that, because as soon as you re-weld it, you'll lose some of the frame strength

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

:werd: i always hear of people getting professional weld jobs done on the frame, and then a week later it cracks in a different spot, or the same one.
    tanner knos his stuff about metals, listen to him.

6. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

Well tanner or anyone who knows a bit about metal. How long would you say the frame would last, I am a loght rider and am light physicaly at 9 stone. Would it last about 3 months at the most?Would it last longer welded or just left?

Bill

7. Tanner

Tanner New Member

8. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Get a decent TIG welder to do it, it should last a good 3 months or so. Hell my Brisa lasted 3 months, and then it snapped at the other end of the chainstay, due to chainsuck that happened occasionally.

You should have no problems.

9. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

Cheers mate. I have emailed some engineers. What sort of price would I expect to pay for a repair on a 2cm crack on the seatstay, toptube joint?

Bill

10. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Not a whole lot, I paid 35 CDN, which is pretty cheap. About the price of going to the movies nowadays lol.

11. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

mechanically, arent you supposed to drill holes at the ends of the facture to help dissapate the stress and reduce the chances of the fracture getting larger?

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

it is true that if you reweld a frame without heattreating it agian etc it will not be at the same strength as its original. However this can be avoided by strengthening the metal further by placing gussets on the frame. It realy depends on where the crack is but if it can be welded and gusseted well it will last forever.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

IMO, if its cracked its going to break in time, why not take a chance and re-weld the mofo? i know i would

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

A good body shop trick, is drill a SMALL HOLE on each side of the crack so it looks similar to like 0-----0 This way the crack will not keep going. Then weld it. So you'll have the strength of a weld, ON TOP of not having the risk of the crack spreading.....