Frame question

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by My Little Pony, Sep 27, 2011.

1. My Little Pony

My Little Pony Active Member

I feel a bit bad asking a question like this but I can't figure out a way to search "strong frame" together. When I search it I get results for just "strong" and for just "frame".

That said here's the question: does anybody out there make a durable/ stiff 26" frame with a comp style geometry? I'd like to find something in the range of 380 chainstay, +60ish bb, a 1090ish wheel base, and in a perfect world I love to find something with vertical dropouts but I know that's a lot to expect. (I prefer vertical dropouts because I think they make for a stiffer, more durable, frame, and I don't like the way the chain slaps with horizontal dropouts.)

Right now I have a Meta VTT1 frame which I like because it is so strong and stiff but I am starting to crave more of a pogo stick. I'm not small and I'm not wealthy so I'd like to find a frame that will last.

Any advice is greatly appreciated even if it is advice on how to refine my search better or a reference to another thread.

Thanks

2. ateam

ateam Old Man, Poser, Newbie, "Huba Huba"

3. NateE

NateE wtflol

You could always go custom with RCP or Marino. This way to get the longevity of steel AND the geo you want.

4. svsguy

svsguy Member

Double post...oops

5. TheGreatCornholio

TheGreatCornholio NWTrials.com

Don't do rockman.

Here's a whole string on my rockman. They're crap and no customer support.

besides that, My buddy has a neon xray. That rides really nice. He's 200lbs, and no problems. Think that's what I'm going to run next. also, neon has the born frame. those geos look good to.

6. REDOVAL

REDOVAL Scott Thompson

Matt,
    Knowing your style, you need an Adamant A2 long frame. I have one and measured it at 1090, 384, +60 with a Trialtech fork. With the build I have on the bike, you could bash it all day long and it would survive and it weighed in at just under 21lbs. I will have it at Kernville and you can ride it if you'd like to. This photo shows it before the TT fork and front Magura setup.

Scott

Attached Files:

7. My Little Pony

Thanks for the info. The A2 does seem like a good fit but I never see those come up for sale.

8. sethman

sethman Well-Known Member

I'd start out by getting a more durable stem :rofl:.. My buddy had an A2 and loved it.. I've heard good things about the x-ray and also the slate frames. Never heard a single soul say that they didn't like the Rockman frames or major components. Best of luck man.

9. Ross W.

Ross W. Active Member

Matt, you need the '09 GU Le frame. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for, although the chainstays may be a little short.

10. Indy

Indy wish i could pedal hop

Bionic or Zhi frame. Cheap, strong, good geo. $164 through biketrialsseller.com

11. Cypher

Cypher New Member

^this

12. sxbud138

sxbud138 Still going strong

+1

13. ateam

ateam Old Man, Poser, Newbie, "Huba Huba"

Hey Ross, not to say that I know what the hell I'm talking about but the GU frame that Jesse18 rides is awesome in BB height but the rear wheel BB/chain stay clearance just blows. I bought Jesse 2 TryAll tires and tubes (a nice deal from Tarty) for his bike and he had to cut off side knobbies to make it fit and even then there was maybe 2 mm of clearance. I then gave him a Maxxis rear tire that was a somewhat narrower and it was still a bit large for the bike. Additionally, he has had a difficult time keeping his rear wheel in line with the vertical drop-outs. He goes pretty big on drops and gaps so he is all the time readjusting his rear wheel and HS33. There is no way I want to deal with that crap like he has to. Like your Meta and mine, this is never an issue. I love the high bb of the GU but the rear clearance issue blows. That is why I have looked at the Born frame, high BB and really appears to be nice welds and well made????

Just my humble opinion. Lastly, the Echo sure seems like a nice frame as well with a high BB.

Edit, I'm not sure if he has the GU Le frame or just a GU. There may be a difference in chainstay clearance betwen the 2 frames?

14. oldskooltrialsrider

oldskooltrialsrider New Member

the gu le has crappy tire clearance so unless you want to cut knobs or run a not so good tire skip that frame, otherwise its a decent frame. id say go with a new 2011 echo or zoo frame, decent price and well made.

15. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

Heres one I just finished, I could get you hooked up with something. My wait time is longer than Marino's, but, I think something hand made in America is something worth waiting for.

[​IMG]

16. My Little Pony

Thanks for the info. I had thought about the gu frame, but the tire clearance turned me off a bit. This has really been helpful.

17. treewizzard

treewizzard draquella is back!

zhi z3r is about that geo, maybe a bit shorter. and it can fit a 2.5 no problem. its got horizontal dropouts though (but that doesnt matter if you know how snail cams work)

18. Sam.S

Sam.S Active Member

2011 Zoo Piranha