Frame builder asked me for geo

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RideManuals, Mar 21, 2004.

1. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

My makes frames, really tight steel dj hardtails. Recently he was interested in trials and asked me for geo and said he'd make it and give it to me for hella cheap I told him
    1060mm wheelbase
    390mm cs
    72 degree head tube angle on a 400mmfork
    zero bb drop
    V mounts
    9" seat tub or something really low
    Does that sound good? is this a waste of time?
    Should only experienced trials frame makers be trying this?
    thanks
    although I'm hesitant on saying that because a lot of people post smart ass remarks. Try to keep that to a minimum or just make smart ass remarks about this last part of the post.

2. BrettM

BrettM New Member

It's personal preference dude. Some people will be stoked on that and others will hate it. Most complaints from this board will be asking you to make that wheelbase a hair longer.

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

yea i would maybe say wheelbase slightly longer but whatever floats your boat. sounds real good though. nothing tehre is shocking or anything like that, in fact i'd like to ride something of the sort if i rode a stock maybe. let us know how it works out

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

that sounds good to me. too bad you said hella in your post though.

your geometry is off to a really good start. the tricky part is going to be making the frame really stiff and not a tank. try to shoot for the 4.5-5 pound weight range. your frame will be much more durrable and will ride much better than if it were some piddly 3.5 pound frame. one thing i would change is the seat tube height- drop it down to 8"... other than that, sounds pretty good to me!

5. Elan

Elan steve french

few things id change...+10mm bb, 1080 WB..its just a number but if its bigger it makes me feel cooler.
    74degree head tube...
    380mm cs
    brake mounts are cool.

but its all preference and what type of terrain you are on, i guess.... post some pics and a review when you get 'er done!

6. bigd

bigd Guest

i agree, personal preference. making the stays 15" on a steel frame is tricky, desalvo has the best idea. you can't bend the tubes very much by the bb because its such a high stress point. he made the bb wider to accomodate the wheel being so close. hes using the fsa bb with the 85mm shell width.

1060mm is a decent middleground it seems. 1100 is LONG, and 1000 is pretty short. id keep the ht angle at 72, 74deg feels twitchy on some terrain. and if you have a 74deg ht on a 1060 wheelbae bike, your cockpit wil be stretched out more than with a 72deg. wither zero bb drop or a slight raise. i can't say much about the handling characteristics of a really long wheelbase bike because i don't have extensiveexperience with one. yet. hehehe...

7. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

I'm from the SF bay area hella is what you have to say. I'm glad I didn't say wicked cuz that would be hella ghey.

so bb wider for short cs like 400mm cs? I like that. I have very street background from urban assault, parks, "jibbing"HAHA, and trials. But I really love uci moves they are really fun and seems to improve really fast and make things a lot easier so this is my first venture into longerwheelbases, I said 1060 to be safe but I might go for 1080 cuz I'm like 5'11. what is the best way to make wheel base longer? just for my own info is it longer tt?
    so
    72ht
    390mm cs with wider bb
    zero or 10+bb
    8" seat tube
    v mounts
    1080mm wheel base
    sweet it's only like 2 hundred soo why not?
    o and would desalvo be willing to hook me up with a way of geting said bb? I would just get a desalvo cuz they're yummy but they are also 400 os something more

8. Elan

Elan steve french

if you keep teh 390 cs, you shouldnt need a wider BB, only if you went with a 380 cs would you want that . and yes, increase the length of the front trianlge for a longer WB.

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

that bike sounds pretty nice. if i was you i would aim for 380 chainstays, just because i think its so sexy. what fork are you basing this frame around?

1070-1080 wheelbase, 72*-73* head angle, 0-10+ bb. r0xx0r

10. BrettM

BrettM New Member

The real way to increase the wheelbase is you pick you chainstay length than use a measurement called front center.

Top tube measurement is useless. You can have 10 bikes with the same rear end and the same top tube measurement but will ride completely differently.

The front center is from the center of the bb to the center of the front axle.

11. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

decent point but...

you can have ten bikes with the same front center that will ride completely differently because they have differing head angles, fork lengths and fork rake.

It's a combination of all these details that dictates how a bike rides.

12. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

well I got an echo urban fork that I think I will put on but I was just thinking of a regular 400mm rigid. although I also have a knifen fork long but I'm using that for a street bike and i want this bike to be extremely trialsy. So if the chainstays are 390mm I don't have to mess arround with the bb width? Cool well I talk to my builder a little more but this is looking promiseing. Thanks again I'll keep you updated.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, there are also different ways on connecting the chainstays to the BB in order to keep a 73mm bb and still have a shorter chainstay than 390, probably only 385. meh

14. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

does anyone know anything about v-mounts on bottom of seat stay? bad or good?

15. Elan

Elan steve french

pancho does, pm or email him, i think hsi e-mail is [email protected]. he had one built up recently... although i have never actaully seen it in person