Fork lengths- riding difference??

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by SQuiT-man, Apr 21, 2004.

1. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Hi there!
    My setup is currently a Giant trials team with a fatty fork (400mm), but it is basically impossible for someone my size to bunnyhop it properly or manual, because the front wont lift the entire way upto the balance point, even with massive aggression! I have the giant forks that was designed to go with the frame (410mm, but 100g heavier than the fattys, so I guessed it's pros would balance over the con's), but fitted the fatty as soon as I got the frame without riding them, because I thought that they would be better. Anyway, I end up with a bike that I can simply not possibly manual- is it worth putting the giant forks on (10mm longer) and 20mm of spacers (so that together the bars are 30mm higher)?

Will a max of 30mm more bar height make a massive amount of difference in this case, or should I be looking at buying another pair of much longer forks?

2. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

How tall are you, what are the dimensions of your stem, and what bars are you using? All of these factor into how hard it is to lift your front wheel up.

3. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Im about 5 foot 7/8. My bars are planet X goliath pros (2 inch rise i think) with planet X megapipe trials stem (100mm x 23 degrees).
    My front tyre is fairly low profile, which might make a little bit of difference too.

4. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

Sounds like you already have a lot of rise in the front, I'd really hesitate to add 2cm of spacers. Do you ride more street or natural? Because if you ride more street (which it sounds like you do) you might just want to consider a shorter stem. 100 is about right for natural riding and whatnot, but longer stems are always going to be harder to manual. Especially if you're shorter. With such a high rise stem and bars, I can't believe that you would benefit from any additional distance between your axle and the bars.

5. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

I have no spacers at all atm, and very short forks tho. I do street, or atleast try to. The bike's supposedly very short (1030 wheelbase on mine), so I was told that a stem of around that length would be best
    what do u think i should do?