Echo Team: need advice asap.. long or short?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Patrick, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Patrick

Patrick New Member

That might be a dumb question for this board, but does anyone ride the short version? I've hopped on a couple long mods here in CO and they feel really strange. Any input/advice would be appreciated.. Also, why does Benito ride the short version? There must be an advantage right?

2. kamil

kamil Guest

i got the long, and before that i rode the monty, i must say: all hype aside the long echo feels great. I would even go as far as to say that it feels better than my monty. Its def. not as 'flickable' as the monty but on the whole it rides better.

Took me a few weeks to get that realization so don't be discouraged if at first you feel like getting rid of it.

3. netto

netto New Member

a longer wheel base will give you more reach for ups.
    it will also alow you to bridge things instead of gapping them, which is sometimes safer.
    but having a long wheel base will make static moves from both wheels(ie.surges) a lil harder. it will be harder to place both wheels on small objects too. shorter bikes will alow you to go from one move to the other alot quicker. bothwheel moves are ezier as well. if you are just starting trials i would recommend a short echo team. other wise it just depends on your style.

4. Patrick

Patrick New Member

I actually rode a Coust for 2-3 months so I know the advantages of a long bike, but I'm a little concerned of how all that translates to the little 20 inch wheels..

However, after reading Kamil's post, I'm leaning towards the long.. I don't think anyone loved the short monty as much as him, so the advantages of the long echo must be for real.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i have ridden some long mods and some short ones... i must say the longer ones ride nicer. its all personaly preference but i do think the longer models are more comfortable and once you get used to where the wheels are, they ride as nice if not better than the shorties. i just like having more room on a mod. i always feel cramped up on shorter mods but not as much on the longer ones.

6. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

A while back someone posted a list of results to prove that the Koxx riders were dominating the big events. When I looked at the list I noticed that Benito was not the only mod rider on the short XTP. Almost every Koxx mod rider had the XTP short. I thought this was odd considering all the hype about long bikes. What is the length of the XTP short? Maybe it is as long as the long Team.

I have an old X-Lite (2000?) and a Team. The Team is the long version and it was an improvement over the X-Lite. I like the additional length. I have not had a chance to ride the short Team so I can't compare the two, but I think Echo is only making the long Team next year so the short Team must not have been a good seller.

I am 5'9", 145LB and ride Sport if that helps any.

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the short xtp is the same as the short echo, they are both about 1000mm wb. also marco hosel rides a short koxx. both benito and marco come from backgrounds in the short monty days. it seems to me that all the riders that do exceptionally well on the long bikes come from stock backgrounds....

8. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

I just got an echo team short and I'm lovin it. But it really depends on your riding style. I like short stocks so i got a short mod.

Basically if you want to ride your mod like a mod get a short bike. if you want to ride your mod like a stock then get a long mod.

thats my opinion

9. B1105

B1105 New Member

I have the Long, mod is super hard to ride after riding a zebdi, but its fun, assuming you dont have echo tires. I think the short would be way too cramped

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Personally i prefered my monty x-lite for competing than my level boss long...I couldn't do all the same things on my monty (like big ups etc) but its just a much more solid and controlled feeling ride- patrick, I will tell you that you will have more fun on the short (knowing how you ride etc)

11. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

For me the longer the mod the better, I think they track stand better and make all the moves besides whipping the rear end around easier. But I am 6'1" or 6'2" so a longer bike fits me better. Really it's just personal preference.

12. Tanner

Tanner New Member

my 6'3" frame fits andrew's xlite just fine...

13. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

its probably just me but I always felt cramped on my X-hydra, I guess longer is just better for me.

14. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone…