echo pure, urban, or zebdi?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by airmj, Apr 6, 2004.

1. airmj

airmj Guest

i'm trying to decide between the 3 frames, echo pure being the most expensive as i'd have to get maguras and ditch my Vs. The urban and zebdi i can get for around the same price.

i'm kind of on a limited budget, the pure is about SGD750, zebdi SGD650, urban 650SGD, i can only spend about say SGD900? i still have to get a new fork and headset.

If u were me, what would u get? :?

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Tell us more about yourself

How big are you?
    What type of terrain do you like to ride?
    How do you ride? street style?
    What level are you at?

3. airmj

airmj Guest

i'm about 1.70m, quite light, i've only started trials maybe about 2 months ago? Using my 15" xc bike :D

i ride mostly urban, hardly and rocks around here to jump on. :D As for style i don't think i have any yet, but i think most prolly street, not sure bout this one.

As for level, i can pivot quite decently, trackstand for a few mins, rocking i can do for like 10 seconds? my highest rideup was maybe slightly over 2 foot? hehe. mmm, yea and i can bunny only about 1+ foot. :(

I ride mostly with a friend, who's also a beginner, so we don't have big groups. Progression is quite slow :( Only got videos and this superb forum to run on. :D

4. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

thats about 5'7" for those wondering.

I would say get a zebdi, as I can't really recommend an echo urban after all the problems they've had in the past (even if it is a redesign).

Of course, since its so early in your trials career and your balance and tire accuracy isn't that great, it's probable that this could be why you don't like natural. It's REALLY hard as a beginner, so urban is nice to start on.

You may progress and decide that a zebdi doesn't feel good to you anymore and that you feel cramped and want to ride natural, but its really too hard to say, so as of right now I'd say - save your money and get a zebdi.

Its not that a pure isn't suited for urban riding or anything, as for me, I ride everything better on my long bike, but I'm also 6'3" so I may not be the best judge for how a long bike rides on urban for a short person.

Anyhow, this is just my suggestion, but don't go on it alone... I'm too tall to be sure about this :).

Bill

5. Elan

Elan steve french

echo urban is probably a good choice for you at this juncture...had you more money, teh pure would be the obvious choice, but it makes no sense to spend all teh money you do and dont have on a bike that you cant utilize. the px is nice too, but i think id prefer the urban still...go for whatever you think looks best i guess, they are pretty much similar

6. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I've had a Zebdi and now ride an Echo Urban. Both are really well built bikes (the Echo even despite their problems a couple years back, and many on this forum's opinions as to their quality). I like the geometry much more on the Urban.. headtube is a bit slacker and the rear end is shorter than the Zebdi- good things imo. For the money you pay for either frame you can't go wrong though. You'll have a bike that lasts well and rides well either way. I ride a lot of urban also with as much natural as I can find (not much here). You'll be fine to get the basics down riding urban but as soon as you start getting those try to put yourself in the grass and dirt at least for some moves. You'll be amazed how much it does for your balance and ability.
    Enjoy and sorry for the rant...

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

echo urban = kenisis factory = monty factory = crack

echo pure = koxx factory = strong = sick

echo pure is the shit, i dont see why people think short bikes are better for street, the head angle is the main diffence on the echos, they are both pretty long though. im done.

8. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

I dont think a 70kg (140 lb) beginner is capable of destroying a Urban or Zebdi.
    I have the Urban, cant say anything bad about it.

9. airmj

airmj Guest

hehe, yea that's quite true. I was worried about durabality at first, hearing how many zebdis have cracked and urbans snapped and what not. But it all depends i suppose.

Thanks for all the great input guys, seems like either the zebdi or urban would be a good choice. i was looking for something that could last me a long time, from a beginner all the way to, if possible, sports level.

Also i checked with my local lbs, they'll be bringing in the 04 zebdi's with the new hydroform tubes or somthing in in may, so maybe i should wait for them till i decide?

On a side note, what fork do u guys recommend? i was thinking of getting the echo pure fork. mmm...

10. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Try a bunnyhop 180 on my jackflash and then a bunnyhop 180 on a koxx 1100. I think even those who know street and trials best (Andrew back me up here) will agree that it will be easier on a short bike. If by street you mean pedal upping concrete ledges than yeah, I agree with you, but for actual street moves (BMX on a mountain bike to make it blatantly obvious what I am refering to) a shorter bike like the Zebdi would be better suited. Oh yeah, the Zebdi will outlast the Urban always in terms of durability in the hands of a beginner, ogre, or unsmooth. I fit all of those categories.

11. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i'l back you up dan :) hahahhahahahah

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I can do rolling 180s with my zebdi easier than my jack flash for some reason- probably just b/c my flash has a massive fork and the zebber was rigid....I can't even attempt one on a koxx (not one out of the 4 of them :rofl: ). Big oafs like robbie can do it like nothing, but he is 8 feet tall and jacked- not as jacked as I am..

LIGHT WEIGHT !!11!1 OH YEAH!! LIGHT WEIGHT!

13. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Whoa,
    Two people with jack flashes. I have been looking for someone to ask. I'm learning trials on one, and doing other riding, was it a smart choice, or am I at a disadvantage for learning and progression?
    (sorry if I'm off-topic)

14. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Purists cringe!!! I pull 180's down 3 and 4 sets of stairs on a regular basis, max bunnyhop to 4 feet, and pull pedal grinds down cement ledges on non-drive side using the chainstays on my ECHO URBAN since I got it when they first came out ...when I'm feelin saucy. Not a single problem. Old ES3 = snap crackle pop. New Urbans are strong shit. Strong enough for my friend to drop 12 feet plus from back wheel and snap countless forks doing backflips and such on dirtjumps with no frame damage. Someone show me a broken new Urban?
    In the mean time I'm gonna go back to riding trials.. and maybe throw in a little bunnyhop stoppie over a bench for fun.
    :joshers:
    Oh yeah.. I had the Planet X too (Zeb n new Jack Flash), liked em a lot. Like the Urban more for trials.

15. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Missed your post Ryden,
    My Jack Flash is still going strong with a good friend of mine learning trials on it, and learning FAST. He's catching up. It's got a nice geo I think. I like it more than the Zebdi. Not as cramped. The bashplate is a nice option when you're starting out too.. it can save you some frame hurtin. As soon as you're a bit comfier though.. get rid of it. It'll become a crutch.
    He's been pretty rough on that frame too.. still no signs of breakage.

16. ty

ty Guest

i used to ride a monty hydra and could do 180's and bunny hop about waist high, now on my pure i can almost pull 180's and bunnyhop a curb.

17. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

The jackflash is nice. I wouldnt ride it for trials, but as an all around bike its a pretty decent compromise. Hell it woulnt even be that bad for up to sport level trials. I just got mine and it seems durable, stiff, its set up like a bmx bike with 6 gears....

18. brisa

brisa New Member

Have you considered a 2004 Base bikes TA26? They resemble the Echo pure in looks ( i think anyway) has 15" chainstays, zero drop bb. Length varies from around 1040 to 1060/65 with different forks.

I rode a brisa from i started riding trials (about a year) i got this frame about a week ago and has improved my riding quite a lot.

I dont know if you have them in america but you can get them from this website.

Very cheap for what you get, a lot of frame for the money.

http://www.simplythebike.com

100% recommended :bigthumb:

19. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

keep in mind, four bolts doesn't necessarily mean you can't use v's.