echo hubs are pieces of shit

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by AgrAde, Aug 11, 2004.

1. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i broke the end off the splined kinda bit where the cassette goes on, so i just got that bit replaced (under where the smallest cog goes, i've never used a gear near side ever). got my wheel back today, and went for a ride. it kinda felt like my freewheel wasn't on properly for the first five seconds but it seemed to work out after that. but 1/4 of an hour later i pedalkick and there is nothing... my whole cassette is turning around on the hub. wtf?

time to get my hussefelt cranks off my other frame and buy a king i think :down:

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

king? why yes... that is a better set up indeed. sorry to hear about your echo hub. i never even rode mine...

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

ill second you on that point agrade,i had to retap my echo hubs when i got the bike

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

PING PONG WOULD NEVER LET SUCH BAD QUALITY COME OUT OF THAT FACTORY!!

i :heart: ping pong

5. AgrAde

edit; well i won a set. but man i hate that game.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  6. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

don't tell me this. my echo hub just got here today.

7. AgrAde

every echo hub in new zealand has died one way or another, according to the importer. he's been super pissed at echo but they don't seem to want to do anything about it.

the echo importer himself rides a mod one (are they any different?), he's gone through a couple too.

i feel sorry for you :(

how do you take apart a shimano freehub for locking purposes? keep in mind i have no proper tools.

8. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

how do they break? does the casette thingy strip out the main part of the hub or what?

9. AgrAde

i have both smashed the cassette thingy and stripped it off the hub, a few others have too.

the guy said they failed in a whole lot of ways, i didn't bother asking.

10. pav

pav New Member

Why not just hacksaw the cassette body off and weld another better one back on? Could that work?

pav

11. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

if it's a screw on freewheel like the shimanos then just take the axle out and take out the freehub with a 12mm allen key. They can be pretty tight though, once I had a deore hub (still built up) that I was putting an XT freehub into. I was holding the wheel and Ash (XzionizZ - obsolete member) had the 12mm allen key with a 4 foot pipe on it. after a half hour it seemed to undo, the allen key turned a whole half revolution before we pulled it out to have a look, the allen key had twisted around on the short shaft a full 180 degrees - looks awesome I still have it. But yes. A bolt that is tight enough to twist a half inch piece of steel is pretty tight. Yes we were turning it the right way.

- Joel

12. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

well fuck me in the ass and call me shirley! i guess ill just run it and hope itdoesn't break at a bad time...

oh yaeah! 7 ft gap w/ 10 ft drop... here we go! preload, pedal... no scratch that, no pedal, just... DEATH!!