DX32 vs EX721

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ninja, May 23, 2004.

1. Mavic EX721CD

94.2%
  2. Alex Rims DX32

5.8%
  1. Ninja

Ninja New Member

What would you recommend for urban trials?
    Mavic EX721 CD, 28mm wide, 590grams or Alex DX32, 38mm wide, 720grams, rear of course. DX32 is 15$ cheaper but I am troubled by it's weight. I plan to run Michellin Hot S 2.5. Also do you recommend 36 or 32 holes and how should I lace it?

2. pav

pav New Member

DX32 all the way mate
    if you are worried about the wieght drill it, but come on its not that heavy, its like 130 grams more and thats nutting, you coudl get rid of that with drilling i would say! you willl also want the extra width its heaps better, especially with Hot S cause that thing is mega pinch prone!

i dont know about how many holes and lacing though sorry, i would just say the strongest way!
    i have 32h and double cross and its fine as long as u are smooth and dont ride with broken spokes

pav

3. Paul

Paul Guest

If you`re getting the Tucana 2004 as you told me, get the DX32,it`s the best (or almost) rim you could run on the rear IMO ... drill 10-12 mm holes if you`re worried about the weight,but it`s not much more than the 521/721 (same rim ? ) .
    About lacing.. if you`re running a hub that has same sized flanges as a Shimano,you`ll be okay with 264mm spokes laced 3x on both sides (36 holes)
    I belive that for a 32 hole rim you`ll need 261mm spokes ( 3mm off ? ) ? No difference between 32 and 36 hole , at least not in durability/strength ...

4. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

2 cross?

i doubt it

5. modtire

modtire Easy, just don't lead them as much

Nice pic hydroboy, you don't see a whole lot of SYL fans posting on trials sites. I'd like to see a vid with them as the music.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

i cant believe you would even consider that narrow sissy piece of XC trash for your rear rim. alex will make your penis hard if you have never ridden one.

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Mavic= stupid expensive and skinny
    Alex= cheap and wide

8. Mehukatti

Mehukatti Guest

where can one buy pre-drilled dx32? thetrialsinshop.com doesn't sell them anymore.

9. Shipley

Shipley ..........

To my knowledge.. the Echo rims are predrilled Alex rims. The front rim might be a smaller Alex than the DX32 so check.. but the rear is the 32 i'm pretty sure. Try Webcyclery or see if Graham at Factionbike is carrying them yet.

10. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

My friends dx-32 and my echo rim doesn't look the same. The brake tracks are higher on my rim. Which makes me think it's not the same rim. Why would they change this?

11. StreetRyder

StreetRyder Guest

Wat is a good tire for trials riding or can i just use a standard tire.Right now i have Kenda Kinetics wat do you suggest.

12. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Michelin Comp 24 2,2 or 2,5.
    I like 2,5 for the extra squish but 2,2 is a little lighter(but lighter is for fags anyways).

I hear Maxxis are good too. But some say they are too bouncey.

Anyways. You can't go wrong with the michelin.

I don't know anything about kenda kinetics. But if they are light and xcish then you will probably pinch alot. Plus. The grip of the michelin is just to much to miss out on. Will help your riding because you will trust your tires more.

EDIT: I have actually only heard one call them too bouncey..