DX32 Drilling

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by pav, Feb 25, 2004.

1. pav

pav New Member

hey guys

i got my DX32 and really want to drill it, i am most likely not going to drill it yet but i will eventually, i was wondering what size drillings are mostly used on DX32's and what is too big, becuase i would like some pretty big drillings on it becuase it looks cool but i do not want to go too big to the point where the rim just becomes like paper........

if your going to post against people drilling your rims dont waste your time in this thread, people that like to drill rims are just sick of it

and also would it be safe to drill a single wall front rim, my front rim is single wall, not dented or anything but i was wondering if it was safe to drill it, it is pretty much same as rhyno lite just single wall, i was thinkin of askin trials rider at bikeshop but he says no to drilling any ways

some input would be handy

pav

2. Elan

Elan steve french

7/8" is most common... ive seen really small ones too, and then medium ones, like mine which are 5/8"

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Might be able to fit a small amount over 1", but 1" is the normal biggest...7/8" is great because you have extre' room to work with, don't have to be as careful. In terms of the front rim- I've never had a front rim come out of true so I'd say go for it.

4. ty

ty Guest

i have 3/4 inch holes in the front and in the back, so far so good.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

7/8" holes front and rear. lasted a whole season with some really stupid crap done in there. had to true them up every couple of months but nothing major. the thing that finally finished my rims off was that stupid ass drop-gap at the end of cotrials 6 and in ftc 1. i hadnt done anything that size in a long time and even an undrilled rim would have cracked or flat spotted.

dont bother with a few small holes- just go one big one. a single 7/8" hole removes more material more effectively than something like two 1/2" holes.

6. bundee80

bundee80 Member

Sorry about the necro-post, but hey, I used the search function at least. I'm about to drill out some DX32's, but I need to know a couple of things:

1. How do I measure the center between the eyelets? Is this even that important? Should I just eyeball it?

2. Drill from inside out, or outside in?

3. If I'm using a hand drill, how should I hold it in place? (Kind of trivial, and probably something I'll figure out myself)

We've got a couple of drill presses at work, but the rim is too small, that when I have it over the press, the part of the rim I'm drilling is too close to the chuck. And, when I face it upside down, I feel like I'm put unneeded pressure on the rim.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

7. AlexC

AlexC New Member

1. you measure with a ruler
    2. drill whichever way you like
    3. do you have a vice of some sort to hold it?

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

7/8" rear 1" front. no major issues

9. Stiiick

Stiiick Fat guy on a little bike

you dont need a vice
    just hold it between your legs and drill straight down on it

10. bundee80

bundee80 Member

I did end up using the drill press. I can't imagine using a hand drill - would have taken me hours... Thanks for the replies!

11. Stiiick

Stiiick Fat guy on a little bike

yeah good call on the drill press id i had access to one id use one too.
    doing it with the hand drill doesn't take that long, less then an hour for sure

12. pav

pav New Member

Hahah classic you guys found this thread, I saw it and was like 'hmm, someone else is using my account now, how nice of them' then I read it and remember it was actually me who wrote it.

I never ended up drilling my DX, but a mate did his and he used a drill press and sait the rim moves around heaps and it was REALLY hard to do to get them nice.