Durgen Design's 676 Fork... A taste of what's to come...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by biketrials25, Jun 30, 2004.

1. biketrials25

biketrials25 New Member

Here are some pictures of the new 676 fork fresh out of Pro/E... Comments?

"676- The perfect mix of Good and Evil"
    http://www.durgendesigns.com

Attached Files:

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

looks pretty close to the Coust fork to me.

4. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

WTF dude? Sure it looks like the Coust fork, and the Pace RC31, and the Wound UP road forks, and like the Manitou BMX forks and like the Bontrager and McMahon Racing forks from way back, and like any other bolt on or glued up fork ever made.

Coust hasn't exactly revolutionized the use of a machined crown and dropout. Just like they weren't the first to employ a bent top tube or "seat tube" strut.

Also notice the brake mount...it's on the right fork leg. Ooh, but this one time, Giaco rode his fork backwards and invented that too!

Your fork looks great Ben. Are we going to see production?

5. biketrials25

biketrials25 New Member

Just a side note:

The crown and dropouts are 6061 T651 aluminum and the tubular section of the legs and the steer are 4130 Martensitic steel. Also notice the wheel lock system and the headset lock system. This all combined weighs in at 2.22lbs.

6. biketrials25

biketrials25 New Member

Once the design is proven to be as bombproof as possible it will go into production. Around last year this time I was hoping things would have already been in production, but with unexpected delays/problems it has taken a lot longer. Now the goal is to have a production run complete by early spring ’05. Hopefully by then we will have CNC… :drool:

7. smudge

Are you buying a totally new machine? or upgrading what you have?

8. biketrials25

biketrials25 New Member

We are probably going to get a used Haas TM series machining center.

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

You're absolutely right. That totally just debased my previous statement: It still looks like a Coust fork. Did i say that was bad? Did i say that he was copying? No, I never said that. All i did, was say what it looked like to me. Maybe i was implying a compliment?

10. smudge

I'm sorry if I was harsh. I probably jumped on you too quickly. Whatever your intentions were, I'm tired of people thinking that because they saw an "innovation" on a Coust released product, it means that Michael Coust invented it. If I made an incorrect assumption about your comment, I apologize. I should point out that if Ben's fork is to be compared to the Coust in terms of construction method, we should consider a timeline. Perhaps ben would like to share with us the date of the first email he sent out to the MTB-Trials list on Topica...It was definitely B.C. That Coust fork resembles Ben's fork.

11. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

whoever copies who i could care less, as long as people don't go to the point of spray painting their rims and drilling them in a very particular pattern just to get the same image as another company ;)

12. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

will it come in that color scheme? i hope so.

13. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

ben,
    do you need someone to test it out?

14. biketrials25

biketrials25 New Member

Not that it matters, but we have been messing around with this concept way before I ever seen/heard about the Coust... It kind of sucks when people say it looks like the Coust, but at least I know we had it on paper ~1.5 yrs ago. Yes it has been a slow R & D process but I assure you that when production starts no one will be disappointed.

As for testing... Well, once I prove it out myself I'm going to be looking for 1-2 people to also test it. We'll see...

15. JonMacKinnon

JonMacKinnon Guest

When you say the "Coust" fork, do you mean the Fournales?

16. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

yes, but i do think it's obvious what we are talking about when we say coustellier fork. Not everybody knows the name of every single part they use.

17. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Also it's not made by Fournales anymore, Goldtec is making their new forks.

18. BrettM

BrettM New Member

What are the benefits over my 2.2 pound px lite fork that no one has had a problem with and is sure to cost tons less than this fork?

Sure looks pretty tho.

19. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Shame how insanely ugly the PX's are... if I could get by that i would probably buy one for the piece of mind. (slave to fashion...:greddy: )

What's the setup on the front hub? QR20 hub only?

20. biketrials25

biketrials25 New Member

Everything for this fork will be customizable by the customer. The forks- rake, leg length, color, and whatever else the customer wants. Our focus will be on designing around the customer and not making riders settle for the standard. There will also be a Ti steer option that will reduce the weight to 2#.