downtube protectors

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by DAVE-O!, Oct 25, 2004.

1. DAVE-O!

DAVE-O! Guest

i just dented my downtube today, about two or three inches in front of the bb.

it's not life-threatening, but it caused me some concern.

do any of you use downtube protectors? if so, is it worth it, and what kinds? i just bought my bike a couple months ago, and i kinda want to keep it for a while longer.

2. janko

janko New Member

Well, i use a very simple protection system: a cut pcv pipe, and a thin foam under it. I often hit my downtube, specially on the rocks, and rails, but i didn't manage do dent my downtube yet. It looks ugly, but I can't afford buying a new frame each year.

3. Gargamel

Gargamel Jakabok

4. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

that DTG looks bomb proof

5. Shipley

Shipley ..........

PVC is dirt cheap and you can cut it to size in a snap.. spray paint it all sassy to match. If it cracks on a hit.. make another with the spare tubing you got for 60 cents.
    Take some spray adhesive or double sided mounting tape to it.. or velcro if you feel the need to take it off in front of company.

6. Gaps720

Gaps720 Guest

i used some flexy clear pvc piping from home depot and i just cut it down the top with a dremel... it looks nice and then i just zip tied it on. its the stuff that looks like oversized clear beer bong hose.

7. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

I use a pvc pipe cut in half, spraypainted white and held on with 2 small pieces of velcro. I spent just over a minute hacking super fast with a 20" saw, that's why it's all crooked. It works awesome though, has saved my downtube lots of times, and you get some extra confidence to try moves like hooks etc. Go to home depot or another do-it-yourself store, and buy 3 feet of pvc pipe for 2 bucks. Those armourdillo things are completely overpriced, for something that gets torn and shredded from hitting concrete and rocks, since it's wrapped in nylon. If you think a pvc pipe protector looks bad, you're not gonna like the armourdillo at all. I wouldn't get one, but that's just me.

[​IMG]

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

thats pretty hot....but i say just ride, ive wailed my frame good, got some pretty good massive dents, but no cracks or anything

9. Peace

Peace pedocrab

i got a mate to make one for free, made out of an old semi slick mtb tire sewn to dacron cloth and velcro sewn on either side. Pity you aint in sydney cos you would just need to give him your downtube diameter and he would have it done in a day! ill post a pic if i can
    Peace

10. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I just use flex tubing...It doesn't really protect it from anything massive, but it keeps my frame from getting little nic's and dents. More so absorbs the bump rather than deflecting it I guess.

11. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

[​IMG]

That is pretty. Oh so pretty. I'm gonna do that now. You are the roxor, Romanx.

12. Vox

Vox Guest

White koxx? I have never seen before!

13. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

dave, did you see my downtube when i was up at tech? Yours is probobly fine compared to mine. But a protector would be a good thing to have.

14. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

my dick's not seen any major damage so far, but I still armor it up it before it goes into battle. There's this little scar from back in the...

...My DOWNTUBE on the other hand...

- Joel

15. DAVE-O!

DAVE-O! Guest

thanks guys, i think i'm just going to go with the pvc idea.