Downtube Protector?

Discussion in 'South/South West, USA' started by trialsian, Apr 10, 2004.

1. trialsian

trialsian Guest

Can someone from the Dallas group tell me how to make one of those downtube protectors like on Stan's or Seth's (?) bike? It seemed to be of a hard material and snapped on.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. kamil

kamil Guest

hey.. i have a downtube protector.. i used clear plastic tubing.. you can find it in a home depot (or some equivalent) in the plumbing/pool section. Usually it's used in pools and jucuzzis.. and seth's is made from a pvc pipe, which you can find probably in the same section.

3. trialsian

trialsian Guest

Thanks Kamil, Yah.. I am interested in making one like Seth's. I thought it look like PVC. Did he just slit it down the middle and heat it to open it up a bit?

4. kamil

kamil Guest

i think that is how you do it. although i have seen a few people who take a bit of it out, so it's not just a slit, but a small portion of the "top".. i can try to do a text picture..

./--------\
    |#####| ---\ |######|
    |#####| ---/ |######|
    \---------/####\----------/

( # = empty )
    i hope my pictures helps, it's just to help you get it on.

5. trialsian

trialsian Guest

Man, that's love... that picture took a bit of time. Thanks for the feedback, I think I am going to give it a try and then if I am not happy go for some tubing like yours... Dave W. did his like that and it seemed like a good idea as well. Let me know if you find out anything else.

6. carCiNogn

carCiNogn New Member

For your downtube:
    Try cutting an old peice of tire that still had good tread and strapping it on with cable ties. If you don't have any, they are easy to find at any hardware store or Walmart and come in a variety of colors.

[​IMG]

For your chainstay:
    Wrap it in a peice of an old innertube and attach with ducttape. This can also be found in a variety of colors at most hardware stores and Walmart.

[​IMG]

For your knees:
    Remove the plastic cap from a kids elbow pad and use it to reinforce the inside of the pad. Use hot water to make it soft so you can mould it over your headset/barstem. Stick a Green/Yellow Scouring-Pad/Sponge in the back side of the cap to keep it from sliding around (stiff GreenScour to bike). You might want to staple the velcro straps too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there you have it:
    Protection.

[​IMG]

And I do mean protection! This bike helped me evade some muggers when I leapt over a ditch while being held up in Houston.

Adam

7. trialsian

trialsian Guest

Thanks Adam... I like the tire idea on the downtube and the elbow guard on the stem is definitely innovative. Thanks for the pictures, too!

8. Sethbomb

Sethbomb New Member

I just used a piece of plastic pipe that was given to me, I didn't cut it, it was just luck that it snaps onto my frame. most people i know use electrical tape to hold it on.