downloads resume support

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by sofa surfer, Sep 19, 2004.

1. sofa surfer

sofa surfer Guest

Why doesn't Observedtrials support resuming downloads? Videos are big and it's hard to download them at a time...
    :wtf:

2. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Imagine if people were courteous, just for a second................. nice isnt it?

3. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

if i remeber correctly some of the hosted videos are resumable, but to stop remote linking / eating up bandwidth some of the larger file / more popular videos are set up to stop this.

4. sofa surfer

sofa surfer Guest

to rush: I don't think that could reduce the traffic so what you mean? Btw, imagine for second if you download a 200Mb file for some 10-15 hours via dial-up connection and suddenly the connection breaks..

5. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

:hsugh:

it all comes down to $$$.

6. Blackstick

What i mean is this: I was commenting on how dis-courteous you were being in regards to the way you asked the question.

I understand exactly how the whole 10-15 hours thing sucks because it has happened to me on numerous occasions.

What you need to realise is that Bill is hosting these videos for you, so it makes sense that you use your manners and be courteous in the way you ask questions.

I do understand that the reason it sounded discourteous is possibly because you are from another country and english is your second language (?) .

Hope this clears up any confusion.

7. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Most of the time I give ample time to download any videos before they are moved to the videos section. I realize that inside the videos section download resumer support is not accepted. This is because you have to be logged in to view them and download resumers don't support logging into a site with cookies.

The reason the videos are moved to the videos section is to reduce bandwidth usage. Some months we have higher bandwidth usage than others. This was one of those months. Take a look at the home page and you'll see that we hosted a lot of big popular videos this month, that means that they were only open to unregistered users for a few days before being moved into the videos section. If you visit the site every day I can't imagine a situation where you won't be able to completely download a video using download resumers before it is moved to the videos section and download resumer support is no longer available.

If you don't understand this or want me to elaborate, let me know.

Bill

8. sofa surfer

sofa surfer Guest

to Bill: thanks, it's clear
    to rush: calm down, I didn't want to abuse anyone ;)

9. enron

enron Guest

Why i can post my personal video session in observetrial ?. If with my personal compte i can do IT ?. Thanks for your anwers .

10. OTAdmin

Sorry Enron, I don't know what you're trying to say.

11. Blackstick

All calm now :)

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I think enron is trying to figure out how he can put his own videos on the site matt.

13. OTAdmin

Ah

Well, that isn't possible right now, but I would like to allow it in the future. There are a couple reasons why its not allowed though.

1.) Security. I can't allow people access via ftp to a known directory. This would allow them to upload a video and give the link out anywhere they want. This means that someone could upload videos that aren't even biketrial related and post them on HUGE forums eating through a few hundred dollars in bandwidth before I even know it. They could also upload php scripts that would give them access to a large number of things. They could delete the entire site, have the php script execute virii or password crackers, or any other large number of things.

2.) Money. We're already racking up a LOT of bandwidth and to do this type of plan I would need to purchase an entire other server and use tools to throttle bandwidth to ensure I don't have problems like in #1. Then aside from that I would need to write a user system that integrates with observedtrials.net's current userbase, only allows certain types of uploads, keeps track of downloads, and has a nice user interface - both for uploaders and downloaders.

This system is completely possible, but I would need an entire new level of funding and time to create the system. Therefore, it just is not possible right now.

But believe me, I've looked into it and desperately want to do it. I think it is possible in the site's future, but not right now. If anyone knows of someone willing to sponsor an entire system like this drop me a PM, I am most definitely willing to work on it, I just don't have the money.

14. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

virii, lovely use of plural form there, should lobby Oxford to make it correct.

Rush - don't mess with the Ukranians.

Enron - le mot Anglais pour "compte" est "account".

we can still organise for you to host decent vids though right? Pending bandwidth and quality? Not that I have any...

- Joel