Observed Trials banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got the new Avid Juicy Sevens for front and rear. I'll do some reviewing of those when I get the time. Both of them need the lines cut down and thus re-bled. I have the choice between two different numers of dot (I forget the numbers.) Would one be at all stiffer or thinner or better feeling or anything over the other?

If I were to guess it was 4.1 and 5 maybe? I've never delt with dot fluid before.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
I'd run the 4.1...

At least thats what me other DOT brakes liked.

I think.

Maybe it was dot 3, if there is such a thing...

ok I'm no help, sorry.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have no idea how those particuar brakes work, but with both Magura HS33s and Hayes discs (the two hydraulic systems I have experience with) just because you cut the line doesn't necessarily mean you have to re-bleed. If done carefully you can just cut them and re-attach them. You can also catch the fluid in the line that you cut, and drop a little bit into the caliper if needed to keep air bubbles to a minimum. Then again I am the worst mechanic in Colorado, and I always have brake problems, so just ignore me...

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I figured Pancho. My Louise and Martas were like that. I read some paper it came with on cutting them and it says they have to be re-bled tho. So I guess a bike store may get to touch my bike. I'm not impressed...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bleeding is so easy... If you have the tools of course. Doesn't avid sell a bleed kit?
And the manual should state which fluid to use. If you have a choice between 4.1 and 5 choose 5 because it is more heat resistant.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Dot 3 exists..LOL, it's what most of today's cars use. I hope you're not putting DOT4 or 5 in your cars brake system, LOL. Brake fluid doesn't mix too well....

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't use dot 3. Only dot 4 or 5.1. Just wondering if there would be a different feel between 4 and 5.1.

·
Registered
266 Posts
thetart20 said:
BrettM said:
Just wondering if there would be a different feel between 4 and 5.1.
None whatsoever.
I don't know about the euro fluid 5.1 (I've heard it's different than normal DOT5) , but DOT5 has silicon in it, and as far as vehicles go IT CAN NOT MIX! Your system takes DOT4 or DOT5, not either one.
I don't know the "Juicy" system, but typically a system takes one or the other NOT EITHER. I do know that DOT 5 is nice to work with cause it doesn't eat paint like DOT4 does, but it's supposed to not be compatible with DOT 4 seals..............

·
Youth in Asia?
525 Posts
oicdn said:
Dot 3 exists..LOL, it's what most of today's cars use. I hope you're not putting DOT4 or 5 in your cars brake system, LOL. Brake fluid doesn't mix too well....
i run DOT 4. you are a dumbass.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im getting tired of saying this but my brake says I can use either 5.1 or 4. So for the couple people who keep telling me I can't well I can.

Apparently theres no diff in feel tho. So my question is answered and thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
you can use either 4 OR 5.1 just never ever both at the same time. if you ever were to switch, flush out the system really really well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts