do you use derailleurs?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bmorekirby, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bmorekirby

bmorekirby I have bloody shins, yay?

do you use gears, or is your derailleur a chain tensioner?

thanks,
    kirby

2. Elan

Elan steve french

fuck no!!! i use a surly singleator.

thats not to say that everyone else i know uses a derailleur though.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I use a derailleur as a tensioner

4. Trialsaddict

Trialsaddict I have no idea.

5. Ross

Ross New Member

tensioner, although I do believe that mine is functional, but I havent actually changed gears in some time.

6. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Der.

Often changing between 18/16 and 18/15, Usually natural/urban difference. Someday I might settle on one of them.

7. hello?

hello? Guest

i use 2 gears. one for trials and the other to get around. i find it doesnt skip this way because your not cranking on it up hills, not to say you dont crank on it in trials though.

8. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

i can use a full 5 gears. i feel special.:naughty:

i have a deraileur by the way.

9. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I used to have a deraillure...then I figured I could hop on a post...now my deraillure is gone and I am riding ss.

10. felix

felix New Member

I use my derailleur as a chain tensioner.

11. Orkje

Orkje New Member

I'm thinking about getting a cheap derailleur to use as a tensioner. I've ruined two singleators, and the springs that come with them don't hold up too well...
    Or I might get gears. Looks fun to be able to actually ride somewhere at a DECENT pace. My town is boring as hell when it comes to trials obstacles, so I need to get around...

12. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I had the Surly's but same thing with the springs, I had to adjust, sometimes re-bend, etc...I'll be running a cheap LX derailleur...

LOL I know I'm gonna put couple gears so I'm not crawling all over the place.

13. dankilling

dankilling More old than school

if you are using gears- do you use a frontderaileur to keep the chain on, or some kind of chainguide?

14. Orkje

Orkje New Member

When your chain is short enough you shouldn't have any problems with the chain coming off the front sprocket. Just make sure there's enough chain tension (i.e. the derailleur is almost horizontal).

15. davke

davke Guest

if you ride trials- you need some gears, if you ride street trials - too (with der). If you ride only street - you need ss (no or with ten).

so, it depends on a riding style, i think so

16. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I dont know...I ride sort of streety trials using ss 22-19. I would prefere 22-21 for some of my strict trials riding...but the 19 seems to work wicked. I can get all the speed I need from that gear ratio.

17. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I use a der. ,but It doesn't shift. It's actually zip tied to my chainstay to stop it from slapping around. I'm going to fix it on the new Frame, so I can actually shift a few gears.

18. madbiker66

madbiker66 Jigga wot?

I use a mech on the rear. i can get 3 gears out of it, and i don't use a front mech, no need.

19. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

how would a stock be without der. or tensioner? like a mod..