Do the different rotors actually make a difference?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Mar 17, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I was wondering about something. Do the different rotors actually make a difference? Like if you visit the different manufacturer sites, they say "optimal rotor design for maximum performance" but all worded differently.

Do they really make a difference? The holes patterns, hell, the Hope gothic rotors don't even have holes. Look at how differently all the major companies rotors look:

Avid
    [​IMG]

Hayes
    [​IMG]

Hope
    [​IMG]

Shimano
    [​IMG]

I left out Grimeca cause I couldn't find a pic and same with the Magura line... But even the Mini's rotor differs from the M4...it makes you wonder...

LOL....dumbass question I know, but maybe somebody really knows that has tried the different rotors and had different results from rotors alone.

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

most of it is looks and weight alone. what makes the biggest different is how much of the pad surface is cut by each pass of the rotor. that's why wavey ones are becoming more popular.

3. average mike

average mike Guest

Hehe, gothic rotors kick ass....

4. WhiteRavenKS

the gothic rotors are for looks. they are wavey but you can make any rotor wavey for a lot cheaper. gothic rotors do look really cool though...

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...When I change my pads, I was thinking of getting the 203mm Wavey Rotors, but while I was at it, Iw as wondering if they lack or presence of holes or the designs actually make a difference. Cause I know Hope can like cut out what ever you want in a rotor...which made me wonder if pattern really made a difference....

6. WhiteRavenKS

holes or waves or both. doesnt matter so long as the full pad surface is being cut by the rotor. hayes rotors- they dont clean the top and bottom couple of mm. not too smart. that being said- i run a hayes rotor. it's the only straight 8 inch rotor i have that isnt on a dh bike. the new avid juicy wavey rotor is one of the best i have seen. get one of them. they are really light weight too.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

What about the Hope rotors....those lightning bolts seem to cut alot, but if you look at the Avid rotors, the little grooves niched in them as well as that little hole on the other side, seem like they would cut the ENTIRE braking surface....so why wouldn't those be ideal?

8. WhiteRavenKS

the lightning bolts do what a regular hole does only it does it at twice the price. the newer avid rotor does a better job of keeping the pads clean at all times and it weighs a bit less than the old design did. if you are in the market for new rotors- the new avid is the best thing i have seen to date.

9. bigd

bigd Guest

nah, most of the designs are for looks. the thinner wavey style rotors are a tiny tiny bit lighter. i ordered this one, it'll be here tomorrow. won't be able to test it until i get my frame. its made by a company called Braking Wave. eh, if its crap i'll ditch it and pick up an avid rotor. but i think it looks cool.

[​IMG]

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah....I've heard of the Hope Lightening bolts craking too...I never had the problem...but eh.

I think the AVid is coming when I switch out my pads....

11. sebLG

sebLG New Member

yeah looks and that ... but alu megamo rotors do make a difference, but personally i really love my hope one its awsome, looks awsome and wavey but isnt the gothic on, just standard, and i dont notice any weight difference moving from my hayes 6" to my hope 8" so, yah ... also the hope rotars are really really strong i have found (gladly!!). ialways hit me rotor.

12. sebLG

sebLG New Member

[​IMG][/quote]

what rotor is that? does look heaps nice, me prefer the look of gothic tho :greddy:

13. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

read the rest of his post :)

14. bigd

bigd Guest

:rofl:

15. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

While looks may be a big factor the wavey design is supposed to help heat dissipation somwhow. Something about larger surface area. Just like the holes in normal rotors. They are there for ventilation. Looks too perhaps but heat is the main thing.

Though heat is more or less irrelevant for trials.

16. ToX

ToX Guest

The different designs won't really help in trials , because in trials you need on/off power , you won't build the heat as in downhill when the brakes is applied for a long time ...

[code:1:09fe4ff56b] hayes rotors- they dont clean the top and bottom couple of mm. not too smart.[/code:1:09fe4ff56b]
    The friction force isn't proportional with the contact surface , in trials it doesn't matter if there are clean portions of the rotor :? It's again a heat dissipation issue ...

17. WhiteRavenKS

it's not the rotor that is being cleaned- its the pad that is important. nevermind.

18. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah, the slots and cross drillings scrape a thin layer off the pad. It decreases "glazing"...but we'll never see that.....