Do it all frame?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Art Vandelay, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

Any options out there for a trials, urban, dj, and some short XC trails frame? Something that handles XC well is far from important, but I wouldn't mind a few trips to trails every now and then. From what I've read it seems the Azonic DS-1 is the cheap choice and the Jack Flash and Zebdi are two other options. Any others I should consider? Also, I'm 6'4" so things get a little tight on the smaller frames. I've been riding on my 20" XC frame since I started trials and the thing is flexing and creaking a ton now. At the moment I'm strapped for cash since a ck hub is on its way, so the DS-1 is pretty appealing. thanks.

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

At your height, it'd be very hard to ride XC and trials at the same time on one bike. I would say Zebdi but at 6'4, you will be super cramped. Azonic bikes are nice for the price, but I wouldn't expect it too last. Maybe something like a DMR or something? I dunno, sorry I wasnt any help.

3. PJL

PJL War is Peace

I'd def look into the Px stuff, sounds like they have some good compromise bikes. I took my Norco tt to Colorado last summer and used it as my only bike, urban was ok, trails not so good though I did have a long seatpost, djs were dowright scary, the bike is way too twitchy.

Keeping your xc bike for trails, buying a cheap bmx for street/dj, and getting a cheaper trials specific frame would be another option. Personally I would have waited on the Ck hub though, def not something you need.

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Considering I have 5 different bikes, each the best at what they do, I would say no. If you want to concentrate on one thing, just get a bike for that one thing...Or get a shitty bike that can barely do both, I'm happier with the first option.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

a "do it all frame" is the worst idea. i wanted the same thing when i started riding bikes... then i bought a trials specific bike. best choice ever.

you will find that a do it all frame will greatly limit what you can actually do..anything that feels remotely comfortable on the trailor on a descent, will seriously inhibit any progression in trials, same vice versa.

dirt jumping and trials shouldnt mix by all rights. dj=fork with travel, trials=rigid, dj= minimal gears, but built for speed, trials= minimal gears, build for slow.

basically, forget it

6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

fair enough. At 6'4" will a trials specific frame feel horribly cramped? In my defense I live in an area with zero trials riders and have never seen a trials specific frame in real life.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

no, actually it will feel less cramped than almost any other type of biek i can think of. the new trials "rage" is long wheelbase. the coustellier frame is like 1085-1115mm, depending on the fork... very uncramped.

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

Interesting. Guess for now I'll just save up and wait for the current frame to die and hopefully by then have some experience with trials specific frames. I understand that something trials specific will make things much easier, but considering I've never ridden one it makes it tough to believe that there really will be a big difference.

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Art, where are you located?

And I have to agree with what Elan said. if you think you're serious about trials, get a trials specific bike, any other bike will just limit your abilities in both disciplines. A longer bike will not feel cramped. I'm 6'3 and I became terribly cramped on my zebdi about a year ago, now I ride a levelboss 1065 and it feels great. I would try and stick to anything this long or longer.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

I'm a slight drive north of Chciago right now. Will be in Golden, CO after Aug. 19. I've been riding for a few months now and haven't felt that my XC frame has really slowed me down at all, but that's probably just because it's all that I've known.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

yes. i dont know why i mentiond only hte coustellier. the koxx levelboss 1065, koxx xtp, BT raven 4.0 or 5.0, and a few other bikes, all have decent lengths.

12. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I am 2hrs away from chicago. Also there are some people in IL that ride trials. If you want to try out a long trials bike, send me a PM and we can try to figure out where to ride.

13. dookie

dookie Guest

Don't get an Azonic DS-1. I bought one a few years ago, and it wasn't very good for trials. The bottom bracket is way too low causing you to bash the crank or pedals on everything! The chainstays are too long, horizontal rear dropouts did not hold the rear wheel in position. It is difficult to get up on the rear wheel. Now, it is my urban assault bike, though I never ride it now that I bought a PX Zebdi.

I have heard good things about the PX Jack Flash. You need to use a short travel fork (3") in order for it to have good geometry. Longer forks just screw up the handling, geometry, etc. Or you can run rigid forks and have a full on trials bike. If you want a "do it all bike" I'd seriously consider the Jack Flash. Check out Team Planet X webpage for more info: http://www.teamplanetx.com/

So, after riding a DS-1 and a Zebdi for a while, I'd imagine that a Jack Flash is a a pretty good "compromise" between trials, urban, XC. Check some of the old posts regarding the Jack Flash.

One of these days, I'll stick my Manitou Black forks on my Zebdi and see how it works!

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I have a flash, and a zebdi. I would never run the flash for trials...just set up the bike for what its made for, thats what it excells at. The JF is great on dirt jumps, decent in street. I would rather ride a fully trials set up zebdi on street than the JF for urban.

George costanza- do you want to ride this for trials only? We need more input- you have never even seen a trials bike...and you have this assumption that they are all cramped :rofl: . Jump on my roomates 1115mm wheelbase coustellier, then to my zebdi and you will see what cramped is ;)

15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

I thought I wanted 1 bike that would be ok at everything, but I've been swayed. As for assuming a trials bike would be cramped, it just becomes habit after living tall for your whole life. A lot of the frame prices for trials specific bikes are high which is really what made me avoid them for a do everything bike. I guess it's time to research trials frames in the $4-500 range. Echo pure looked good, but I really have no idea what I'm looking for other than 1085mm and longer.

RomanC where are you located? I have a pretty open schedule and would be willing to make a drive.

16. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

When you come to Co. there are 30 peeps who will let you ride their koxx in varios lengths and colors.

17. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Guest

CO definately seems to have quite the trials following so I'm going to hold out on a new bike until I get out there.

edit-Having a brand named Koxx makes it hard to tell what is a joke and what isn't.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  18. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

It was meant as both. You literally can ride our Koxxes, afrobot has one of the longest, but its also one of the lightest.

19. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I am in Purdue Univ and also have a pretty flexible schedule thanks to being a grad student.