Disk brake pad choice?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Zyzzyx, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

So after a year, it looks like my disk pads are just about worn. I've seen all kinds of rambling comments at least once a week about what pads to get for Maggies and Vbrakes, but never much for disk brakes.

I've got an older Louise front caliper, should I stick with standard Magura pads, or look at something else? The ad copy at Webcyclery makes good comments about the EBC red pads. Worth trying them out? Heck, they're only half the cost of the Magura pads.

2. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, i would liek to try them out myself, but the avid pads work pretty damn well, so i never switched. EBC makes bads for motorcycles and all that, they are pretty reliable.

3. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Stock pads on my Avid mech, set up right, locked and modulated nice. My EBC Reds locked up right outta the box when i switched. They modulate pretty well too. Someone told me they retain water but i've ridden them in the rain with no trouble. I'm sure on a hydro the modulation will be even better.
    My vote's on EBC's right now. Check out all their pad compounds and give whatever seems right for you a shot.

4. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

You said you have an "older" Louise caliper? If it's the single-piston caliper, EBC doesn't make Red pads for this brake. However, they do make the Gold pads (CFA286) for pre-2001 Louise and they work very well. The Gold ones take a little more breakin time than the Red pads but they will last much longer.

More info: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/MTBfitments.pdf

5. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Welp, ended up getting the EBC gold pads. Should see them by the end of the week. Kinda bummed that they didn't have the reds for the old Louise. But I have been contemplating picking up an Avid Mech for the helluvit.

6. Ryden

Ryden Guest

I know this topic is old but I knew people would bitch about searching if I started a new thread. The red pads sound good, no break in time, cheap etc... but how long do they last?

7. average mike

average mike Guest

Where did you guys get EBC pads from?

8. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

Ian, Avid Mechs are the shizzzzzzackle. You should try a pair.

9. Cole

Cole New Member

Hey Graham

Are you running an avid disc up front now? Could see one on the comp video. Wow, I can't wait to get down there.

10. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Well, for now its going to be putting the Gold EBC pads in the Louise. Should get them in tonight.

I might have a line on an Avid that I could try out, have to wait and see on that one.

Oh, and I got my EBC pads from Webcyclery.