discovery: brakes

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Fast Fashion, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

Shity BMX lever + Avid Mechanical = best brake ever.

Messing around with my DJ bike i thought i'd try it. Turns out the BMX lever is better than XTR. Oh well. probably not cool enough fo a trials bike.

2. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

thats because bmx levers are higer leverage, 990's use cantilever levers (raised pivot point), xtr's and other vee levers are about 1/2" lower

3. Elan

Elan steve french

probably not seeing as you would get no respect from your roadie friends if you were to run a tektro lever or some shit.

4. Fast Fashion

well no shit. i have never seen anyone run this set up though. thus me posting it.

5. Fast Fashion

yeah it is a tektro. it's plastic. it kicks ass.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

just like 80's GTI's kick ass

7. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

Both my bikes have shitty 2 dollar levers on an avid mech and they work grreat, I think those breaks just work well with any lever.

8. Fast Fashion

nah. they work terribly with avid levers. i actually think they are hard to find a good lever for.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

your brakes are fucking HORRIBLE, don't post.

aarons stx levers or whatever ruled.

10. Fast Fashion

he had deore. and they did kick ass.

11. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

we ran bmx levers on the road avid disk for a few set ups at my shop this summer. they all worked great.

12. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Well this definately has my attention and now I wanna try. I have a few levers laying around from my bmx bikes.

Which one was it exactly that you used? I have a dirty harry, some old school dia comp with a lock on it, a snafu, and some other random ones. The Snafu ones might be cool. They have two cable slots cut on it for it to work with different braking systems.

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

jeff lenosky used to run shimiano DX levers...they are supposed to be bmx or something.

14. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

dx was the same thing as the LX, just red and black.

15. Sirus

Sirus Guest

make sure you bend it for better leverage! My tech 77 = win, although i might have to buy one of odyssey's new monolevers

16. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I thought there was a slight strength different between dx and lx? Maybe not. Either way they are meant to run with a v brake. Running that on a U brake would be a gong show.

Bending your lever for leverage? Last time I checked you bent your lever to run it on the bend of your bar...and I don't feel like running my levers a foot away from my grips.

Oya. Can you give me a half ass definition of why you consider it better? I don't really know what I'm after. I like to run mine so that the lever blade doesn't get as close to the bar as much as people like it. I also like to use the limit screw to bring it in closer a touch. So not much throw going on with my setup. Which probably means most people hate my setup.

17. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

thanks dolphin i dont see why this thread became so long, good idea, thanks for posting it, fuck most everyone else.

18. TooSicKs

TooSicKs Guest

Brett, I just started running the reduced throw setup like that and it feels sweet. I bring mine to where i want full lock to fall with the barrel adjusters and then push the limit screws in until my pads almost or even slightly rub.

19. Fast Fashion

not sure whick one it is. It's a tektro that came stock on my haro. THe only drawback to this set up is that the lever is so powerful you can actually flex the arm on the brake. But it has amazing modulation and insane stopping power.

anothe benifit is the lever is small. it's nice and out of the way.

edit: make sure to use a good cable and jonny snot.... or just set it up properly i mean.

edit 2: you don't need to bend your lever. the only reason any BMX rider does that is because of narrow bars and having to put the lever in an odd location. has nothing to do with leverage.

20. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Speaking of brake levers and Avid disk brakes, anyone tried using the Avid FR 5 lever? It was supposed to be designed just for the disk brake. Has something called flat rate cable pull? In the pic it looks kinda cheap.

Haha. Dan's mad at everyone for useless posts, and then makes the most useless post of the topic. Haha.