Disc Or Hydro Veeeeeeeeeeeeees

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Norco_125, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Norco_125

Norco_125 Guest

Hey,

Ever since i gotten into trials, iv been wondering "What is the better brake up front? A disc or a Veeeeeee Brake?. Right now i am running a HS-33 up front and its being a pain in the ass ever since i got it. Im now thinking about about running my old V up front, or going out and buying a disc. What would be the advantage of a disc up front?

PEaaaaaaaaaaaace

2. Megamo123

Megamo123 No more megamo!

Disc

I find that i wasn't able to set up my vee brake with as much modulation as the disc had, and my disc has much more power too. So I say that disc is prolly a better brake. But then of course if you side hope to ur left and dont make it up the ledge, you smash ur rotor on the ledge.So I think its prolly personal preference.

3. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Disk. Use the "search" function and type in "avid mech"

4. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

5. sebLG

sebLG New Member

Discs are better, they are just way more expensive than Vs.

6. pav

pav New Member

HS33 man!!
    If you set it up good it can be very good if you cant afford a disk like me!

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i had and loved a avid mech disc up front, but i kept owning my rotor (hehe, 50/50 drop out grinds on my left.....durrr) so im using SD-5 V's now

8. Elan

Elan steve french

i have never seen anybody bend a rotor, and literally every single rider here has avid mechs. best brake ever made.

9. sharpe

sharpe Guest

i did have my 8 inch hope mini until my brisa forks snapped and i loved it. very powerful and consistent. then i had to change to a lx caliper and xtr lever on a grind which was good, but coming from a disc it was sooo much harder to hold the lever.
    but after getting used to it, it's great! no more worries about hitting my rotor!
    personal preference i guess, but i prefer my disc because it works so well.

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

You people have front brakes? :ugh:

11. Norco_125

Norco_125 Guest

How do you have your set up? mine are super weak and i can't seem to get any more power out of them.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

we arent street style enough...yet/.

13. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i have v-brakes and they don't work. i think that may be my fault though?

14. pav

pav New Member

Norco 125,
    My front setup is a clean rim, with one monty pad and one magura red pad. I have alright chro-mo forks with NO booster and V mounts. It is set up square using the evolution adapter. Yours in theory should be ALOT better than mine as my magura leaks. You should get 2 monty pads on the front, that would be ALOT more better. Make sure you system is bled REALLY well, I have learnt to bleed it good now that it leaks and I have to do it so constantly. Just do it normally then put in screw, put it on its side with screw facing up and do a bit more and you will see bubbles and hear air come out. Clean your rim and pads up good first by cleaning the rim with a scourer and some soapy water and then just clean the pads with the scourer then clean both with alchahol, I did this once in Februrary and have not done it since. Sometimes it will get a little gay with dust, easy fix though, put some water on your glove then run it around the rim, then ride with another finger on drying it off and all is good again.
    Just play around and once its good you wont touch it, only time I have touched it is when I have got annoyed and kicked/thrown the bike and cause of EVO adapters it has moved but I just pulled the lever to set it back.
    Also take tire off when you set up your brakes and set them up PERFECT, mine are not perfect and I love them, ill get a pic of them if you want.

Pav

15. sebLG

sebLG New Member

:rofl: pav i dont know how you live with a magura set up like that. if you want power you should just have a properly blead magura and like plaz pads and a grind or something along those lines .... and also what the shit? you evo adapters move?? dude im a fucking retard and i cant set up a brake that badly. :nono:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  16. Elan

Elan steve french

that sounds like shit. :barf:

17. pav

pav New Member

HAHAH it is quite shit setup, but it works a treat! Im not complaing at all about it! Works better than disk IMO and thats from experiance!

18. Norco_125

Norco_125 Guest

well im going to fiddle around with my front HS-33 hopfully i will make it a bit stronger. During the winter i will get a Avid Mech :D

19. sebLG

sebLG New Member

that sounds like a great idea norcoguy...

and pav, you compared your front brake to a second hand magura disc brake, previoiusly used by a pro rider who probably screwed his shit pretty bad, and then bought by a rider who didnt try anything to make it work properly and straight away got rid of it for a vee brake.