disc on the front and back

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by evileye, Apr 4, 2004.

1. evileye

evileye Guest

hi ive decided to get a disc for the back aswell as the front coz im sick of grinding my rim. And going through 20 brake blockes in a month. Anybody got any reviews on any?
    I have a orange zero

2. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

There are probably 2 trials frames that could be used with disc brakes. Brisa and Megamo. You will probably break your frame if you decide to run a rear disc. Its not worth it.
    Martin

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

The orange zero actually has a good reputation as being a frame that can withstand the forces of a rear disc brake. I'll bet you can get 4-8 months out of it. As for rear brakes to recommend, I can only say this based on others reviews, but I heard avid mechanicals make a good rear brake.

Bill

4. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

I would say avid mechanicals. The only problem I heard was BrettM was hitting his foot on the adjuster dial and thus furthering the gap between brake pads and rotor. I am getting dual avids for my street bike, they feel really nice for trials too, I just dont have a frame that would work well with a rear disc...

5. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I only hit my foot on them because of my custom tab. It sits a lot lower than it would on any other frame. I ran them for a month on the PX Zebdi before I snapped the frame because of them and never had a prob hitting my foot. If you do hit your foot just duct tape the knob so it can't move. I think I'm gonna design a shady guard for my next frame here.

If you are gonna do it be well aware that you will break that frame because of it. Depending on skill level and how you ride they don't take long.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

avid mechs are a good brake. aye.

7. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Kevin raved on the Juicy as well. Something else to consider

8. Elan

Elan steve french

i have ridden a st of juicy's for like 30 minutes one day on a XC bike.... THE best brake ever invented... it WILL break your frame and your wallet though..but it is the tops. avid mechs are cheaper and work damn well.

9. BrettM

BrettM New Member

My Juicy leaked all over the fuckin place on the rear. Only took one 4 hour ride too. The front one not as bad but still the most expensive pile of shit. If anyone wants one I'm sellin em.

10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Thats exactly why I want to stay away from hydrolics, inconsistant results

11. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

i run dual avid mechs on my megamo. the rear is by far the best brake out there. I'll ride someones rear vbrake or magura setup who i used to think had good brakes but now they are all terrible compared to my disc.

avid mech is your cheapest, more reliable brake. i haven't tried any other rear disc so i wont tell you its stronger than another disc brake but its stronger than everyones rim brake setup i've tried lately...

12. rider

rider New Member

I use the Hope C2, currently at the rear. Its a closed system, allowing you to fine tune pad clearance with an adjuster dial. Works great!!! Both power and modulation

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I never got the diff between an 'open' and 'closed' system...?

Dont buy a hayes, terrible stopping power! I have tried MANY.

14. OTAdmin

An open system has a reservoir from which is draws its fluid, thus having an open end (this is the little box you generally see on the lever (though its hidden on the Hayes)). A closed system doesn't have this reservoir, you just fill the lines as full of fluid as possible and then you can often adjust how close (in relation to the disc or rim) the pads sit with something the manufacturer added to the brake. On the HS33, this is an adjustment knob called the TPA (throttle pad adjuster I think).

Hopefully this makes sense.

Bill

15. Lad

Lad Guest

hi my name is ben, i live in hervey bay queensland australia.

I have a rear disk brake on the back of my 2003 x-lite 20" mod, and it works something fierce! i run a hope mini 2 on the rear and a maggi louise on the front. NOT i repeat NOT one problem has happened to the frame AT ALL! the only prob i have had is the pads dont stick to the disk like i want them, so i put a coke bottle lid full of soft drink (of any kind) and slowly spin the wheel and drip it onto the pads and on the disk. then go for a ride and hold the leaver so it causes friction on the rotor and heats it up and drys the soft drink out and sticks like shit to a blanket, i mean it, the pads wont let go till u do!
    thats all i got to say,
    1 more thing dont dis any thing till it has been done- therfore MONTY 20" 2003 (DONE BY JON WEAVING AT GRIPSPORT, IN AUSTRALIA) can support a rear disk mount! http://www.gripsport.com.au/ - the web site of jon weaving who did my frame!
    dont be scared to ask him about the mount welding or get a quote.

HE DEALS ALL OVER THE WORLD

E-mail me for pics cause i cant figure out how to put pics on this site(new here)

Ben Shaw

16. BrettM

BrettM New Member

You sure went to a lot of trouble to try to convince everyone you haven't had a single problem with a hydraulic brake. Funny you start your very next sentence with the words "the only problem I have had is..." The same damn problem everyone has with hydro disks. The reason they aren't grabbing is because they are leaking. I've run full sets of Louise, Marta, Avid Cable, and Avid Juicies front and rear so far on 4 different frames. I've seen it all by this point.

Your frame will break dude. It won't take long. Welding aluminum frames is the sketchiest thing ever. Especially when adding something that was never there. I don't think montys are known for being the strongest frames to begin with. Prepare to add another problem to to your setup that has never had one problem.

17. rider

rider New Member

You did WHAT to a disc brake????????????????

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

yes that makes total sence. I thought I understood the basics of hydromechanics but oviously not... how does it make a difference if there is a reservoir or not? If the liquid cant compress, it shouldnt matter if you got a 5 litter reservoir, the pressure is just moved across. I understand what the TPA knob is and how it works, but I'm quite confused on the res thing.

19. OTAdmin

Well, the reservoir will allow for auto adjusting pads, with a closed system, how far in or out you screw the TPA will dictate where the pads sit. With an open system, you'll keep pumping fluid in from the reservoir until the pads hit the disc.

20. Lad

Lad Guest

brettM said "your frame is gonner break dude"

DUDE any bike/frame that u purchase from the factory(trials spacific) IS eventually gonner break!
    My bike has run for 4 months and i don't ride sofly and im not a light fella.

& When i was convincing you that the frame hasnt had a single problem, i didnt say that the breaks where perfect but i mensioned that the frame is perfect.

RIDER[/b]- putting coke on the rotor doesnt fuck any-thing, if it does n e thing its cleanig it when u rub it off with alot of water.

well yeh n e more shitty little coments yas want to pick at my bike go ahead :joshers:
    Ben :cool: