Observed Trials banner

Dirt Jumper VS Trials Bike?

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  nattytrialsin86 
#1 ·
#3 ·
i built up a DJ for trials and I hated it. I built up a Polygon Trid with 100mm fork and even did trials gearing, 22:18, but never got on with the bike. The head angle was too slack (69 deg), it was too heavy and I really have no idea why I would need front suspension. It definitely didn't do anything better than my street trials bikes. Maybe a Trek Ticket is differnt, but no way I'm paying $800 for one of those frames.

#4 ·
i would like the idea since 2010, but I just can't do it now that I am 40.... last weight i made on my DJ is 13.5kg. It hurts my back so badly when I attempt peadl kick to top of the ledge...geometry, not used to it for trials, I stick with trials bike specially at my age now...or maybe some other day...

#8 ·
got a ten min ride today, finally got this thing feeling OK for a 20 year old bike... got 40 year old shifters, new bar n some old xt levers. nowt bad, my old echo fat rim and hope 2 pro rear hub- 2x 5 speeds.. so a ten speed

tiogo xc front rim... to king hub ?

isis? crank creaky af. maybe squaretaprr

#10 ·
got a ten min ride today, finally got this thing feeling OK for a 20 year old bike... got 40 year old shifters, new bar n some old xt levers. nowt bad, my old echo fat rim and hope 2 pro rear hub- 2x 5 speeds.. so a ten speed

View attachment 41895

tiogo xc front rim... to king hub ?

View attachment 41896

isis? crank creaky af. maybe squaretaprr
View attachment 41897
how much weight does the build comes? I would like to setup my DJ into some trialsy, but I am limited to 32T on front since I used shimano cranks. but that can be figured out with some $$$. The weight at 13.6kg if i can shred lower then it iwll be sodamn good.
The worst part, muscle pains and back aches. These stops me for almost a week from riding after a day of practice...

#14 ·
I recently tried to build a 26 street trials bike with my existing DJ parts. And it turns out few things were weird, BB height a bit higher and I need a longer stem to match the bb. I will keep the suspension fork, felt curious how Ali and Yohan rode theirs and feels good.

90-100mm low rise stems might do the job...

Attachments

#16 ·
it is believed to be an old Stark 26 STR frame, according to the guys in another site. And bought it so cheap in Chinese online shop, it was meant to be a replacement frame for my first mtb home. Since covid messed-up everything, no flights back and fort home. So I decided to build it here (abroad) and try to setup properly while waiting for a chance to get home.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.