Difficulty pulling up

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by airmj, Jul 26, 2004.

1. airmj

airmj Guest

ok this maybe the noobest question, but uh, yea i'm having a lot of problems pulling up the front without pedaling. It's been about a month since i switched to rigid, and i still can't pull up the front as high, as in i can't pull up till i loop out.

Is there, uh, any other method for pulling up on rigid forks? Would switching to a shorter stem help things? gah~ and yesh i'm pulling as hard as i can, my butt is nearly touching the rear tire, but the front just drops down again. :(

I can pull up to a back hop just fine from a static position, but when i'm rolling all the momentum is gone and i just can't' lift the front.

2. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

what frame (just curious)
    and if u have a suspension fork on there b4, or if its made for one, its going to be awkard. u can get a longer fork, something in the 435mm lenght, will be like a 3" travel fork

3. airmj

airmj Guest

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

LEAN BACK. it also depends on your rear hub. With a King, since the engagement is great, you'll need only a small stroke, lean back and you can get to the balance point.

it's kinda newbish, and a bad habit, but do a SMALL endo, only let your rear get up about and inch or so and THEN do a small pedal stroke and pull up the bars...

The front will come up easy.....you just have to pace yourself. I would suggest learning pivots and balance before trying ANYTHING on the rear....then getting on the rear will take NO EFFORT cause you'll have better balance and know how to throw your weight PROPERLY.

5. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

I think what's happened here is that when you had the suspention, you pressed in the front and then used the recoil to launch you into back. I think you'll have to change the way you get up, I've found starting high over hte bars and then bending your legs down so your ass is near the seat and then rising slightly as you keep going back works well enough. Hope this helps.

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Also the suspension made your front end higher meaning that you had to use less effort to get the front up.

7. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

He's talking about getting the front up rolling, like in the beginning of a bunnyhop.

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, just get used to it...

9. oicdn

oicdn Guest

oops.....well uhhh...then I retract everything except the learning to throw your weight PROPERLY part....manuals or anything else moving is just practice...like everything else....and it sucks....

10. redneck_biker

redneck_biker Guest

ya i can't pull up on my 2004 norco evolve i hate it i should probably get a shorter stem i know morley has a really short stem.

11. airmj

airmj Guest

Yes that's exactly my problem, i relied too much on the recoil of my old suspension to get me up.

Will try the motion u suggested :D

And it seems like the faster u're going the harder it is to pull up. argh

12. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, morley and I both run 50mm thomson stems, his bike is very similar to the geo of my zebdi too

13. airmj

airmj Guest

what rise are u guys running? or 0 rise? what's your height? i'm quite a short guy hehe. so i might get a shorter stem...

14. airmj

airmj Guest

wait, 50mm IS the shortest there is right? haha. ok maybe i'll get a 50mm one too.

15. RT Wolf

It is harder. The guy from assault.tk explained it as something like, it's harder to kick wheels out of their gyroscopic pits as they spin faster. you're trying to slow down the front of hte bike relative to the back. I have no idea what he's talking about, i"ll figure it out when I finish high school physics. :D

16. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Don't count on it ;).

17. RT Wolf

^ Oh, then...damn you public education system! Damn you to hell!

18. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

just keep practicing. when i got my long echo pure i would pull back as hard as i possibly could and no matter what, i couldn't lift the front wheel very much at all.

then one day i concentrated on technique and bam, i could pull it straight into a controlled manual, and bunnyhop maybe 2 feet high.

lean forward then thrust backwards, sending your ass as back as far as you can and get your whole body low. the kinda pull on the bars a tad and push the back wheel forward with your legs. you'll figure it out.

19. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

50mm x 0 is the shortest thomson, awesome, paperlight stem.....

im 5' 9", i run a 400mm fork, 4mm of headset spacers, and woodman bars 29" wide, 1/2" rise on my zebdi and it pulls up nicely

20. airmj

airmj Guest

hey i'm 5'9" too haha~ how does it feel on the backwheel?

friend of mine says a long stem makes doing things on the rear wheel more stable or something like that.... so i'm quite hesitant on getting a short stem :(