Difference in AVID's vbrake lineup?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by zebdidude, Sep 19, 2004.

1. zebdidude

zebdidude Guest

I am curious to know what the main differences are in Avid's vbrake lineup? Which one would you recommend for the rear?

I am currently using a HS33 on my zebdi and am curious to see how a vbrake will work. I have a SD3 on the front with a dogpoo old shimano lever and it works so much better than my maggie ever worked. I think I should also add that I am a competant bike mechanic so I am sure I have set them up proper. I am currently just using stock pads with a grind. I think tar on an ungrinded rim worked much better.

Any opinions on the above questions would be appreciated!

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

The SD3s are the same as the SD Ti. All the changes are the pads (catridge and non cartridge) and the bolt matierials.(only on Ti)

3. Elan

Elan steve french

there are no differences. everything sucks except for the ultimate.

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

actually no, the brakes are good- all of them. this year they are all the same, as said the bolts change and the color changes- thats about it, nothing you would notice performance wise. its the levers that are not the bee's knee's until you hit the ultimates.

5. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I'd think that you would be able to tell us better than vice versa - a lot of people could regurgitate the info avid provides, but you've probably seen the different models installed, and problems that people have with them (in your shop) - as far as I know there are only three different arm types (other differences are pads, hardware, etc) - sd3 model, sd5 - sd7 - and ti models, and then the ultimates. sd3 arms apparantly suck ass, but I've got them and they WORK great - don't feel quite as good as the ultimates do though.

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

My sd TI works fantastically :dunno:

xtr lever to it as well.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

:werd:

8. doctorT

doctorT Member

9. netto

netto New Member

more linkages=more flex

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

arch rivals suck cock, thats about all I know.

11. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Nothing wrong with single digit 5 brake arms and speed dial 7 levers, nothing wrong at all. EXCELLENT VFM. Over a years worth of use, no problems what so ever, standard black pads, i ride in a dusty hole, they get covered in shit and still work excellently with my smooth mavic D521 rim. If ever the dust gets too much i spit on the rim in several places on both sides, ride along modulating the front to spread the moisture, excellent performance restored. Fuck ultimates, waste of money.

12. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

dude toss the standart pads and get some koolstop salamons/plazmatics or Echo pads! Trust me its worth it

13. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

I will one day, just not for atleast another 2.5 months worth of solid life left in my standard avids. Hell, they've got another years worth of life left in them, but some stickier pads would improve performance and efficiency.

14. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i borrowed j. scooby's ultimates and they worked noticeably better than my sd 5's.

i personably think the ultimates are worth the money. if i had to buy a set of vbrakes tomorow, id buy ultimates.

15. Elan

Elan steve french

hells yes.. ultimates are crazy. i cant say id want to use any other vbrake... xtr levers work great on the ultimate calipers also.

16. BrettB

BrettB noob framebuilder

My SD Ti/SD - 7 Levers, w/ stock pads own w/ some simple green on smooth Mavic SUP D521's

May be my gorilla grip