Did I get a bad frame?(photos inside)

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by Ninja, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Ninja

Ninja New Member

I just got my frame(Magellan Tucana) and the welds seem really odd.
    Take a look at these photos, the weld at the right chainstay is really weird and
    the weld at the right seatstay is about 1cm longer than the right one ???
    Paul, you have a tucana, could you please take a look at your frame and see how is your frame welded in these areas?
    Am I panicking for no reason?

Attached Files:

2. Cole

Cole New Member

Umm.....they're fine.

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

they are sloppy but probably will be just fine and nothing to worry about.

4. klophaus

klophaus Guest

Are these frames welded by a machine or by hand? I don't really know too much about trials frames, but I always assumed that specialized, trek, etc were welded by machine. I've welded a little bit of aluminum and it is a real bitch compared to steel. So I guess if all these frames are welded by hand, I'm kind of impressed that there aren't more mistakes. ...of course if you are doing that all day everyday you might get quite good....

5. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

thats definantly hand welded, and it doesnt look bad.....ive seen worse.....and usually the big ugly welds, are the strong ones....

6. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

Umm...who told you that?

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

ive been welding for over a year now, and welds that a slightly spread out tend to be stronger, aslong as theyre big, interms as wide, not big as in burning through the metal....thickness wide

8. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

thats a sexy lookin frame

9. knw7

knw7 New Member

yeah perhaps u are panicking for no real reason.. lolol

10. Ninja

Ninja New Member

The photos of Coust frames spoiled me with those beautiful welds, I guess I was expecting too much from a 200$ frame. So you say it should be ok? I going to build my bike in a week so I'll post some photos then again.

Thanks guys

11. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Been welding for two years - a year with TIG. Those welds are sloppy, but fine. Yes, those are tig welded by hand. Congrats on your new frame. Any other weld questions? Feel free to ask.

12. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Errr...no. Haha. Sorry. TIG welds should be about 3 times the diameter of your filler rod. Stick welds should be about 3 electrodes wide (1/8" electrodes). Keep in mind that the filler rod thats used for making bikes has a tensile strength of about 80,000 psi.

Oh, forgot! Haah, yeah, wide welds can also suck. Wide welds + not enough heat = shitty weld. Thin welds with 100% penetration are stronger.

13. Ninja

Ninja New Member

I was hoping you would say something Tanner, your welding skills are famous on all trials forums :bigthumb:
    Umm, no other questions really.
    I have a hand built frame, sloppy one, but hand built :D