DeSalvo.vs.Planet-X

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bryco8, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bryco8

bryco8 Guest

i currently own a planet-x bommer. i wanna start trials and want a trials specific bike. i either want to buy a planet-x zebdi(couldn't get a pic.) or a DeSalvo stock trials bike(not positive what the model name is!?)
    [​IMG]

i'm willing to spend money and get really into trials so what frame do you guys think i should buy

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

de salvo hands down, i wouldn't even consider the PX if those were my options.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

i dont think mike still makes that model of trials frame... you could order one, but i think he is doing a production run of his new model frame:

[​IMG]

4. Elan

Elan steve french

oops.. anyways, that bike is my cousin's. it rides very well, and is built very well.

i wouldnt even consider the planet x zebdi unless i were a pure street style trials rider.

if you are going to get into pure trials, the desalvo is an excellent choice. its geometry is borrowed from the koxx XTP, a top of the line trials specific frame.

5. bryco8

bryco8 Guest

i dont know if this is a stupid question because im just starting but can you get a DeSalvo with a bashguard (one on the frame?)

6. Elan

Elan steve french

im sure you could if you really wanted to. desalvo is a custom biek builder... it would take while to build (like 2-9 months) and cost more though.

1 person likes this.
  7. Elan

Elan steve french

forgot to add one more thing: if you are considering a "pure" trials frame like the new desalvo. it isnt the only one like that that exists, so if you want to have a choice,there are a few more bikes like it that you may want to follow up on:

www.factionbike.com / www.webcyclery.com
    koxx levelboss
    koxx xtp
    koxx caisso
    echo pure
    coustellier

www.btbikes.com
    BT raven

im sure there are a few more notable mentions i forgot...

1 person likes this.
  8. bryco8

bryco8 Guest

two other subjects i need to clear up

1. in some pictures i see a red knob on the brake lever... i was wandering what that was for

and

2 being a beginner, would a normal seat(mtb seat) affect weight, balance, or movement or anything else or should i just start out with one of those 2" by 3" pieces of carbon fiber?

9. Elan

Elan steve french

1: if its on maguras, its for "turbo pad adjustment", which is just basically a set screw that displaces fluid in the mastr cylinder.

2: seats really dont make any difference as long as they arent in your way. i suggest not using a seat if you are riding "trials" some people claim they want a seat because they commute to their riding spots or whatever... i highly doubt using a seat on a trials bike is all that great compared to just standing up and not having to deal with the piece of shit while you are riding. i have had two trials bikes without seat post holes, never once did i wish i had a seat.

1 person likes this.
  10. bryco8

bryco8 Guest

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i'm surprised noone has asked the same old questions such as
    1) height, weight?
    3) what kinda of riding do you want to be doing?

12. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

de salvo is custom, he can get whatever geometry he wants, which means that he can get street style geometry as well.

steel is real, the bike will hold up to big guys just fine.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

omg, thanks for pointing that out anreas. captain fucking obvious.

anyways.. agrade points out some very useful stuff.

14. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

my post was talking about agrade's comments. his height is fine considering he can change the geo. to his liking. his weight is fine because steel will be perfectly strong enough for him no matter his weight. if he wants to do street riding or UCI/natural riding or BIU riding, he can change the frame to suit his needs. so i'm saying that the de salvo will be fine no matter what numbers/styles answer agrade's question.

:momaru:

15. Elan

Elan steve french

well what the fuck if he orders a 1085mm desalvo and he is 5'5...he will come back here, as he should, complaning about it because it rides like shit. omg.... certain users should have exclusive rights to mamaru and greddies

16. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

this is soo gay, the point of custom geometry is to get it to fit you. and not once did i tell him to get a 1085 wb. omg, not my fault. holy shit, this is gay

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  17. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

I'd go with the desalvo no questions about it. because mike makes each frame indevidually, you can get little things changed with it. you could get a mod with a frame bash guard, or the stock frame like the one in the picture up there. I'm sure you could somehow get a frame bash guard on a stock frame. not sure how much that would throw off the geometry though.

The trials frame that is in the picture up there has the 1085 wheelbase, that's kinda the standard that Mike does, but you can most likly get it shorter or longer depending on how tall you are, but i've heard that a 1085 wheelbase works well for almost anyone. But I'd say if you're willing to shell out the cash for a desalvo. DO IT! You'll never look back. I know someone that has the older style(with the seat) and it rides like a dream. another plus with getting a desalvo, is that you can get any color you want, or a rad paint job(i.e. flames, stars, maple leafs, whatever your heart desires). The guys down at spectrum powderworks that powdercoats his frames are exelent.

My Desalvo should be showing up sometime within the next week or so. I can't wait.

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Changing the geo at all means an almost completely custom bike. This will take very long to get built and will cost very much.

"his weight is fine because steel will be perfectly strong enough for him no matter his weight" heh, ok buddy :ugh:

19. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

omg, keep on responding to every fucking thing i say. i will make sure to point out every mistake you make in typing your post next time :momaru:
    jeremy's frame held up fine for the while he used it, and he is known to break frames left and right.
    PX's are shit anyways, they're known for cracking around the BB area, so between the two i'd still say de salvo.

EDIT-at least somebody knows what they're talking about. seattletrials thank you for your common sense!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  20. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

"DeSalvo Custom Cycles" custom meaning every frame is a custom hand built frame. So every frame is completley custom. he has "models" to chose from so people can get a rough idea of geometry, but then with a semi custom frame, you can still mess with the geometry. and you can also arange to get thicker tubing if you'r a big guy. the ones that Mike was making for Jeremy V. were sub 3.5lb frames, true they didnt' last very long, but its possible, and if you're a big guy, you can get a 5 lb frame to last you longer. all by changing the thickness of the tubing.