DeSalvo Durability

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Nikolai, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

I've just about sold myself that I *need* one of these frames. Can any of you convince me other wise?
    I heard some of you Coloradins had your down tube crumple on some moves. Were you riding Jeremy-tubed bikes or the heavier models?
    After riding an XTP, there is no way I could ever ride a bike that short. How much extra would it be to get an 1100 wheelbase on that thing. Thats probably a question for Mike though....

Thanks guys.

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:ugh:

Anyway the desalvos that failed were the 3 pound light as shit ones... I'm sure you can get an 1100, they are all custom- I would wager ~3-400 more than retail of the normal one.

3. Patrick

Patrick New Member

I have a short one (~1040) with the regular tubes. I have put a two or three small dents in it from not riding it correctly

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

yeah, i heard they all fail becuase they suck... :joshers:

the ONE that broke was at worlds and it weighed less than the dumps i take. it weighed 3.2 pounds with a powdercoat finish. the downtube cumpled a little but never failed all the way through like many various chump-mobiles out there.

the older models had a 1040mm WB. the new ones are 1080. you can pay more for custom geometry but good luck getting that 1100 business to fit anywhere. custom work starts at 200 dollars more than base price. just get the base model. think of a steel xtp but gooder.

5. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

What do you mean by:

"...good luck getting that 1100 business to fit anywhere."

The XTP i rode was Paul Brays and he had a 90mm or so stem, so that might have had a synergistic effect on the perception of shortness.

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

1100 wheelbase can get up anything but everything has it's short comings. that wheelbase is used by VERY few top level riders because it is impracticle in many situations. it's too long for many things in comps. the 1065 is a little short and doesnt up as easily as the 1100. that's why this magical number poped out of no where around 1080mm. it's pretty money.

7. Cole

Cole New Member

:p

I rode an 1010mm frame for a long time and then switched to a LB 1100. Length is awesome for comfort! I bet if you threw a longer stem on an XTP you'd love it though.

Desalvo definitely does good work. I rode on their XC team for 2 years and his XC frames are unbeatable. He built me a totally custom frame to my design. Just give him a call or e-mail and talk it over with him.