Observed Trials banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't ride until I get a frame, so I've been spending time fooling with the parts that may soon be on a trials frame. I don't remember who it was exactly (Josh perhaps?) who made the direct mount derailleur, but it inspired me to try it too, perhaps to improve upon it.

I started by pulling the derailleur mounting bolt, spring and washer out. I measured the I.D. of the back side of the empty space...it's about 18mm. So I drilled it out with an 18mm bit to give it an even bore.

I was going to have a friend machine a new washer for me to glue, press and bolt into the derailleur. He's going to get it done, but for now, I used the sanding drum attachment for my dremel tool to mount the washer for my fun bolt. I turned the dremel up all the way and ran the washer up against a flat file until it was just too big to perfectly fit in the derailleur.

Once it was the right size, I used JB Weld to epoxy it into place and then used a dead blow hammer to push the washer into the derailleur.

It's done for now.

I'm considering drilling three holes, tapping them and using 6/32 x 1/4 set screws to reinforce the washer. I think I'll do this temporarily, until I have the new washer ready for mounting. The new washer will have a flange that will sit outside the derailleur so the King funbolt will essentially clamp the der onto the hub/frame.

I had fun making it, we'll see how it'll hold up once I get my new frame.

flame on.

Sean

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think this dude is practicing on some

:rofl:

·
Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cck said:
whats a pallet?
Damn, if you're implying what I think you're implying, that's pretty harsh...especially since I can't even wheelie up a curb yet. :rolleyes:

·
Aluminum is for recycling
1,533 Posts
What the fuck happened to this thread.....I'm honored someone is trying the wacky der modification.You also need to serrate the back of the der/waher /frame interface so it grips well.

Your looks a hell of a lot better than my drunken construct!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't mind cck's posts he's just arrogant :rolleyes:
:rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts