Derailler mounted with fun bolts?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Gardenfan, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Whose idea was this? And can you explain how you did it, with pics preferably. I have a sora derailler. I was planning on trying this when it was first mentioned like a year ago, but was gonna wait until I snapped my hanger, which took a year. So any help would be appreciated.

2. Pancho

Pancho Member

It was Josh Carr's idea, he is known on here as Afrobot. He had pictures and everything I think. It was less than a year ago though...

3. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

It was a long ass time ago at any rate. I just remember reading about it on biketrials.gay, but there were no pictures in the thread or nothing. And the description was kinda sketch. Im sure he will probably respond to this thread in time, no hurry, supposed to get cold this week anyway.

4. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

why would you want to do this? makes no sense.

5. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Why does anybody do anything?

Basically the same idea as the saint setup. No hanger equals no hanger to break. Instead you tweak your derailler, but who cares, it can be bent back, and 1 derailler is worht about 2 hangers around here. So if it works, excellent, why not? Why does everything always have to make sense?

6. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

the threads on the fun bolts are too wide to fit in the dropouts, and the bolts will only have like 5 mm into the axle.

7. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Ya Roman that is exactly what I was thinking too, but there must be another way to make it work?

Lets hear Afrobot's experiences with it before any judgements are made, since he did it and all.

But I agree, you wouldn't just be able to replace the 5mm derailler bolt withthe king fun bolt. So there must be another way.

8. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Here's a pic I took of Josh's bike:

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about this, so thats all I'm going to say.

9. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

ah i see. so to work, it would have to be done on derailleurs that have waaay recessed bolt holes, and do away with the cap things on the bolts. i'll wait for josh to post back with all the details esp about those black bolts.

10. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

that is fucking genius! The screws look kinda sketch, but lookslike it should probably work to for the funbolt to hold against.

11. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

the screws are what the bolt squeezes against, the front of the derailler where the 5mm would normally recess into is hacksawed or grinded off, so it is like a hollow tube, then the screws were put in so the funbolt could tighten against something.

12. Pancho

Pancho Member

That photo is of Version 1. Version 2 looks quite a bit less ghetto.

I was very skeptical at first, but I did see him just absolutly nail his derailure around 10 times without any dammage. Each one of those hits would have been a hanger on any other bike I'm sure.

Oh, and this whole thing was created in about 15 minutes on a park bench in the middle of a ride!

13. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

Yeah josh is the trials Macgyver, if you ever saw his whole bike you would know he is the dremmel master.

14. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

yep Mike, here's a pic of his head tube gusset:

[​IMG]

Once again, I know nothing so I won't say anything.

15. SPEck

SPEck Guest

That's not good for the hub.

16. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Ya I really doubt it is gonna hurt a HD axle with funbolts.

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

my bike is normal, so I ride it and it works.

18. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

this is seriously THE dumbest shit i have ever seen.

19. Sirus

Sirus Guest

dumbest... depends on yoour opinion... One of the biggest factor that stop me from riding stock is the fact i can break stupid things like that!

Hangers are about 15 to 30 bucks a shot... i can afford replacing a $3 tube every once and a while but not something that expensive... espacially without any sort of income (besides pick pocketing hahaha)

you can argue that things like hangers are made so you don't crack your frame etc etc... but as a certan someone has already pointed out... your gunna kill your derailer long before you'll start killin your frame... i do drop out ice picks on my mod all the time its fine... no wear, stress or fatigue markings at all

i would definatly do this mod if i had a stock.... mmm up to icepick to rearwheel

20. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

That's pretty sweet jerry riggin'. One question though......why would you run a record deraileur.......on a trials bike? Even cost on that thing is still rediculous.